ihpguy

Mittens Dyed His Face Brown For The Latino Vote

• Members

Can anyone make this stuff up?

Mitt Romney appeared on Univision Wednesday alongside Jorge Ramos and Maria Elena Salinas, but something was a little peculiar about his appearance -- his skin tone. Looking back at the hundreds of photos logging his every moment on the campaign trail, the Republican presidential nominee is usually not so shockingly tan.

While his orangey-brown appearance on Univision could have been the result of bad lighting or a makeup mishap, left-wing blog the Democratic Underground concluded that Romney "dyed his face brown for his Univision interview."

The claim is not completely out of the ballpark. After all, as Gawker points out, Romney did say "it would be helpful to be Latino," in a video secretly recorded at a campaign fundraiser earlier this year.

Appearing at a campaign fundraiser in Atlanta, Georgia, before his Univision interview, Romney showed a bit more color, but nowhere near the amount of bronze as seen on stage at the 6:30 p.m. ET filming.

If Romney did indeed alter his skin tone, it was likely done in the past few days. Three days earlier, on Sunday, Sept. 16, Romney appeared much paler when he landed in Missouri.

o-MITT-ROMNEY-SHADES-570.jpg?6

From left to right: Romney steps off his campaign charter plane on Sept. 16; Romney is introduced at a campaign fundraiser earlier in the day on Sept. 19; Romney speaks on stage during a Univision interview later in the evening on Sept. 19. (All photos courtesy of AP)

And on Monday, Sept. 17, when Romney addressed Los Angeles' Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, his face was a bit redder than usual.

o-MITT-ROMNEY-COLOR-570.jpg?6

With his bustling campaign schedule, Romney spending enough time outside to develop a natural tan of that color within the time frame is doubtful -- making it even more possible that he somehow altered his skin tone as Democratic Underground suggests.

Though the intentions behind this plausible move are a mystery, some have ventured to make a guess, speculating that Romney's "brownface" is an attempt to appeal to Latino voters -- a voting bloc Romney desperately needs if he hopes to win the election.

Romney is currently trailing nearly 40 points behind Obama in Latino support.

2012-09-19T230512Z_2040102237_GM1E89K0JIT01_RTRMADP_3_USA-CAMPAIGN-ROMNEY.JPG

2012-09-19T231045Z_744183147_GM1E89K0JTE01_RTRMADP_3_USA-CAMPAIGN-ROMNEY.JPG

ROFL

If true, weirdly of a piece with his not claiming all his 2011 charitable contributions in order to artificially keep his tax rate above the 13% he had previously claimed.

Like his "cheesy grits" pandering in the south, and "trees the right height" (wtf?) in Michigan. Could the guy say "authentic" without crumbling to dust like Christopher Lee struck by sunlight at the climax of Horror of Dracula?

Seems to be turning out that the Dems could hardly have chosen a better opponent if they had hand-picked him themselves.

...wonder how long til Rush et al. start insinuating that is somehow just what happened?!

Guest hitoallusa

He has pale ski so I think it's just because be has been outdoors a lot... That might explain his skin tone.. Lets give him some benefit of the doubt... He is after all one of us.. ^_^

Guest hitoallusa

It is possible that stress and out door speeches can make his face like that. I had clear pale skin too but once I moved to North Carolina my skin got darkened... Even though I use sun cream daily and get laser treatments and facials... I don't think it's intentional but I maybe wrong..

• Members

Hito, you are so wrong. He is almost as dark as Halle Berry. He was pandering for the latino vote.

I'm just a bit surprised he didn't show up on camera pushing one of the rolling LA tortilla carts and start frying chips with sides of guac.

The whole episode is even sadder when one hears his claims for Latino affinty as his grandfather was born in Mexico. The question one should ask is why his Mormon grandfather was born there? Because his Mormon great-grandfather fled the US as he was a practitioner of polygamy.

Guest hitoallusa

But what's important is that he is not a practitioner of polygamist... You can't condemn descendants for their ancestors mistakes. Then the descendants of Americans who drew the natives out using force should be condemned too?

• Members

But what's important is that he is not a practitioner of polygamist... You can't condemn descendants for their ancestors mistakes. Then the descendants of Americans who drew the natives out using force should be condemned too?

Ok, so in your accounting of the things we can and can't discuss about Mitt because they're too mean, are we allowed to discuss that he was a 31 year old member of a church that would not allow African Americans?

• Members

Hito, if R Money wants to claim a special connection to the Latino voting bloc(as it were, then he should at the least explain the whole connection as to why Grandaddy was born south of the Rio Grande. Of course, no one is accusing Mittens of being a polygamist, misogynist or practicing ho-MO-sex-YOU-el, but why not the whole truth/reasons on why great-grandpa left the good old US of A?

Guest hitoallusa

I don't think you can say someone is bad based on one's nationality, religion and affiliation. It's unfair... Are we going to say if one who is from North Korea then that person is bad? I don't think you can judge a person based on one's religion.. It is what as individual does that matters.. Aren't we voicing this perspective for gay rights too? I'm just suggesting that the very mindset and bias that we had for Romney on this thread is the source that enabled gay discrimination for so many years...

Ok, so in your accounting of the things we can and can't discuss about Mitt because they're too mean, are we allowed to discuss that he was a 31 year old member of a church that would not allow African Americans?

• Members

I don't think you can say someone is bad based on one's nationality, religion and affiliation. It's unfair... Are we going to say if one who is from North Korea then that person is bad? I don't think you can judge a person based on one's religion.. It is what as individual does that matters.. Aren't we voicing this perspective for gay rights too? I'm just suggesting that the very mindset and bias that we had for Romney on this thread is the source that enabled gay discrimination for so many years...

So by this logic, practicing Nazis were just a product of their time/place and share no responsibility? It's not that he was born into it, is "culturally" a Mormon that I'm talking about. He was an active, influential, ADULT, proselytizing member of the church at a time when its membership policies were not much different from the KKK's--and there is no record whatsoever of him protesting or even dissenting their policies at that time. A church which *still* teaches fairly awful things about Native Americans, I believe!

There are records, however, of him protesting *in favor of* the draft *while dodging it*...