Guest FourAces

IOS 6

Guest FourAces

So IOS users have you updated to the latest and best ever?

I like the huge improvements in Siri and some of the little additions, like separate email signatures.

Not sure what I think about the Maps as I am so use to Googles mobile Maps.

The Facebook integrated app is a step back to me. I do not want my Facebook friends to be added to my contacts but that is the only option if you use the app.

I've only updated my phone not my iPad yet.

What are your thoughts?

The Facebook integrated app is a step back to me. I do not want my Facebook friends to be added to my contacts but that is the only option if you use the app.

What are your thoughts?

Actually that is not true. All you have to do is go to settings and turn off contacts and calendar and they won't be integrated. I did that immediately. They should have told you that when you first linked the two on your iphone.

They actively prevent Google or others from offering alternatives--FREE ALTERNATIVES. Pretty much sums up my problems with Apple right there!

Actually this is not true either. Google has yet to release an iOS6 version of MAPS yet but they will. Then Apple will have to approve which they said they would already. The rumor is that Google is intentionally waiting a while before releasing it so that people will "want" for it since the Apple app is so new and not yet optimal.

I was promised that SIRI would come to the iPad 2 after the upgrade (in certain applications) but I can NOT find her! I am very upset at this because THIS was pretty much why I upgraded (yes..my life is that boring!)

I had baked a cake for SIRI and we were going to go out for a night on the town when she arrived. I wanted to let everybody know that I was PROUD of having a new best friend (well..my only best friend).

So I sit and wait by the iPad hoping for a SKYPE call or a FACEBOOK poke from SIRI telling me that she's okay and she's on her way to meet me. Please SIRI, call me !

I was promised that SIRI would come to the iPad 2 after the upgrade (in certain applications) but I can NOT find her! I am very upset at this because THIS was pretty much why I upgraded

sorry gcursor but Siri has left your cake out in the rain because she is never coming to your ipad2. Only ipad third generation and beyond. (queue Donna Summer)

The mapping complaints people are having with the iphone5 are with the Apple built app not the actual technology or data. TomTom data mapping systems is the core technology within Apple IMAPS and is being licensed to Apple for this app. Apple has somehow built an app around this technology that is strangling its performance for some users. I'm sure they'll figure it out before too long.

Guest Hoover42

I was promised that SIRI would come to the iPad 2 after the upgrade (in certain applications) but I can NOT find her! I am very upset at this because THIS was pretty much why I upgraded (yes..my life is that boring!)

I had baked a cake for SIRI and we were going to go out for a night on the town when she arrived. I wanted to let everybody know that I was PROUD of having a new best friend (well..my only best friend).

So I sit and wait by the iPad hoping for a SKYPE call or a FACEBOOK poke from SIRI telling me that she's okay and she's on her way to meet me. Please SIRI, call me !

Some tech writers suggest the reason Siri isn't made officially available is that Apple naturally wants to push folks to buy the latest hardware.

However, if you're determined and adventurous it is possible to hack your iPad 2 and run Siri; just search Google for more info.

• Members

Actually this is not true either. Google has yet to release an iOS6 version of MAPS yet but they will. Then Apple will have to approve which they said they would already. The rumor is that Google is intentionally waiting a while before releasing it so that people will "want" for it since the Apple app is so new and not yet optimal.

I was under the impression it had been declined for the App Store in the past. It's not just Google, Bing also has pretty good maps/turn by turn directions, last I used it... I *really* prefer not needing anybody's permission to run something on *my* phone...

Guest FourAces

Apple sometimes might not seem the most innovative and sometimes seems a bit walled in... but unlike many OS out there Apple almost always tests things to death before releasing them and thats why they just work ... well thought out UI, simple to use and items do what they are suppose to do.

However, I do have a problem at times when they block legitimate apps that have been well tested and work great like Google Maps. So well tested they were part of the OS till the current version.

Guest FourAces

Actually that is not true. All you have to do is go to settings and turn off contacts and calendar and they won't be integrated. I did that immediately. They should have told you that when you first linked the two on your iphone.

EXPAT this is not gonna work as if I turn off contacts and calendar my actual contacts will not sync to the cloud :( There is no option when using the iOS6 Facebook app to manually skip importing contacts and events from Facebook.

Hmm..okay but I could swear that I read multiple articles saying that SIRI would be coming to certain apps on the iPad 2. I know it wasn't coming to the iPad first generation at all. But I was kind of counting on seeing it in a few apps on the iPad 2.

gcursor

sorry gcursor but Siri has left your cake out in the rain because she is never coming to your ipad2. Only ipad third generation and beyond. (queue Donna Summer)

The mapping complaints people are having with the iphone5 are with the Apple built app not the actual technology or data. TomTom data mapping systems is the core technology within Apple IMAPS and is being licensed to Apple for this app. Apple has somehow built an app around this technology that is strangling its performance for some users. I'm sure they'll figure it out before too long.

• Members

Actually, SIRI turns me off, so I just returned the favor. I realize I'm the only person in this whole wide world who still gets creeped out by everything I say and do ending up on Apple's servers till the end of time, but there you have it.

Funny thing is, among my friends, and most acquaintances, I'm probably the most forthcoming person you'll ever meet. Ask me anything and, unless you're the love child of J. Edgar Hoover and Yenta Telebenta, I'll share all you ask and more. But that's only if I know with whom I'm confiding. whisper.gif

Until I learn a lot more about what's likely to become of my personal information in these days of unfettered and persistent data storage, I prefer to be a bit less forthcoming.

athos-hermitcave.jpg

• Members

Why fight it, lookin? The Singularity approaches; you will be assimilated.

davros_dalek_resurrection.jpg

Resistence is futile!

====

LOL, I just realized that I've been reduced to posting on a tech thread! I must be out of my mind bored tonight. :yawn: