Lucky

Allegiance at The Old Globe in San Diego

• Members

The LA Times today saves me the task of writing my review as it presents a lengthy article, with pictures, on the show: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,4044722.story

The bf and I enjoyed the show last week. My addition to the Times article would be to commend Telly Leung on his excellent performance, Lea Salonga on her excellent voice, and the supporting cast, including in particular Michael K. Lee as a very able actor who plays Salonga's love interest in the show.

No one cared, or so it seems, about the internment of Japanese-Americans during the war, so it may be a hard to task to find an audience who cares, especially if the show wants a Broadway move. It's kind of like the gay play which we all find endearing, but cannot make a hit of it without broader support. Allegiance will no doubt undergo some modifications as they figure what works best and what doesn't. For my part, the songs seemed interchangeable with the standard Broadway anthems. I walked away, not humming a tune, but thinking what a powerful voice Salonga has. Given that the show has some heavy moments, it did seem long, even though it clocked out at 2:10 with intermission. The audience gave it a standing ovation, which is more common out here than in New York.

One footnote: Also in the cast is Paolo Montalban, who plays the controversial figure Mike Masaoka, who was, in effect, the Japanese uncle Tom. Yet Montalban once played the Prince in a Disney movie of Cinderella, and had gay hearts swooning across America. He is still cute, but his boyish charm is now the property of Telly, who has it in spades.

paolo+montalban.jpg Paolo Montalban

allegiance35_web.jpg?w=460&h=328

Telly Leung as Sammy Kimura and Lea Salonga as Kei Kimura in the World Premiere of Allegiance – A New American Musical at The Old Globe. Photo by Henry DiRocco

Thanks. I have been following this show for a while. I have not seen it yet but am dying to. I love Lea! I saw her in London in the original cast for Miss Saigon and in NYC too many times to mention. It was one of my top 5 all time favorite musicals. I love her voice and think she is magical.

I hope I am lucky enough to see this!