Guest FourAces

9-11

• Members

I don't know... it will always be a defining moment to those who lost loved ones, and of special significance to New Yorkers, I understand that... but on the other hand, it's been used as justification for so much bad in our culture, from the Patriot Act and all the other ways we've given up our formerly inalienable rights to the misadventure in Iraq...

Other countries have suffered far greater losses--as a percentage of population--which the average American is utterly oblivious to as well.

So am I alone in thinking perhaps a little too much is made of it?

Guest CharliePS

Sept. 11 was a sad day for me for ten years before 9/11, because of the death of a loved one on that date, so it's not one that I ever forget. The events of 9/11 are still vivid in my memory, although it's understandable that one doesn't understand them in the same way because of all the intervening history, particularly the way they were manipulated to justify other acts.

I was in Europe at the time. But when I worked in NYC I was in those buildings every day. So it hit me very hard. I used to arrive around 8:30AM to visit with my customers or to have breakfast with one of them in the restaurant on the top floor. So while I didn't know anyone who died (fortunately), I did realize that it could have been me just a year earlier. I did know a very good friend who was hit in the head with falling debris and was knocked out for about 20 hours before he was found and they thought he was dead until he came to only with a minor concussion (luckily).

I don't know... it will always be a defining moment to those who lost loved ones, and of special significance to New Yorkers, I understand that... but on the other hand, it's been used as justification for so much bad in our culture, from the Patriot Act and all the other ways we've given up our formerly inalienable rights to the misadventure in Iraq...

Other countries have suffered far greater losses--as a percentage of population--which the average American is utterly oblivious to as well.

So am I alone in thinking perhaps a little too much is made of it?

I think it i was a significant tragedy that really shook the worldview of most Americans. Events that affect one's own country will almost always have more impact than those than happen to others.

I guess I don't see why the fact that greater tragedies have occurred should make this one less worthy of remembrance.

• Members

As time brings us further from the horror of 9-11-01 do you find yourself becoming somewhat blase about the significance of the date?

No. However, I'm not up for reliving it through film or video or a big production but I think it worthy of recognizing and remembering those who died, those who helped the survivors and those who perpetrated the act.

• Members

While part of me would like this event to fade from memory, I realize that to become desensitized to such acts anywhere in the world is a descent I hope never to make.

In fact, I hope this day of mourning will serve over time to build our resolve to put such inhuman acts behind us once and for all, and wherever we find them. No one should be honored for wantonly killing others. I think we damage our souls when we do.