MsGuy

Clinton clips one into the second deck

Last night was a great success! At my Hilton Head Island Hotel which normally plays Fox News in the AM, they were all talking about how amazing Bill was last night. I just hope that it was enough to get his base off their ass and into the voting booths!

Bill is THE man. No one else in either party can do what he does as well as he does it. Love the man. Hate the man. It doesn't matter. You can't rightly say that he is not captivating and perhaps one of the best orators of this generation. He can handle a crowd better than any I know. I had to pee early on and like when I see a great movie, I just held it in until the end. I didn't want to mix one word, one hand gesture or one smile.

• Members

It was a good speech alright but, as he went through his rebuttals to the Republican claims, I kept wondering why is everyone acting like this is news? Of course, Obama inherited a mess that won't be fixed overnight; of course, Romney doesn't have a plan to create jobs or fix the deficit; of course, Obama didn't lift $700 billion out of Medicare benefits; of course Ryan took the same $700 billion in savings that he skewered Obama for; and of course the Republicans will stick it to what's left of the middle class. But why was this all such big news so late in the game? Only the Medicaid grab was something I hadn't really copped to before. And I'm not a political animal, merely someone who knows how to read.

Don't get me wrong: I'm grateful that Clinton did it, and he did it as well as it could be done. It's just that I can't figure out why the Democrats waited until last night to get the message out effectively.

I don't think the Democrats are brain dead, so maybe they thought this would be the ideal timing to get a clear message out through one of the best communicators around. But I would have loved to see Biden, Reid, and Pelosi already on the bases, and let Clinton bring in four runs rather than one.

Still, I'm a happy fan, and one who is really looking forward to the debates. I'll go out on a limb here and predict that Obama will trounce Romney three out of three, we should be so lucky. :clover:

I don't think the Democrats are brain dead, so maybe they thought this would be the ideal timing to get a clear message out through one of the best communicators around.

That occurred to me too: that the timing is a sad but realistic acknowledgment that large portions of today's electorate have the attention span of a flea. So saving the high notes til near enough to election day to still be resonating within the empty noggins that may decide the election is, regrettably, part of the calculus now.