Guest EXPAT

Michelle Obama just tore down the house

WATCH Michelle Obama's FULL speech here:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/videos/2012/09/04/michelle-obama-s-full-speech.html

This has to be the best speech I've heard from a first lady ever. Just brilliant.

If you get a chance you should also watch the key note by Julian Castro, the mayor of San Antonio, Texas. That was brilliant and what a huge difference from the ego train of Governor Chris Christie last week.

• Members

I watched most of it, on CBS by chance, and found the cutaways they chose somewhat disturbing. I'd say 4 out of 5 were African Americans, implying they were the majority in attendance and the only group enthusiastic about the President. It's certainly great to show it's a very inclusive party and (I'm guessing) stark contrast to the other convention, but given CBS's demographic it seemed to me like it was geared to marginalize the enthusiasm if not outright racist...

Anybody else notice this? How was other network's coverage?

Guest hitoallusa

It is sad that some African Americans vote Obama because he is black.. I don't think that is not the way we should be heading and it represents a serious hidden problem. I hope it could change. I think Michelle Obama is great and what a lucky guy Obama is to have such a pretty and intelligent wife. ^_^

African Americans vote for Obama because they hear him talking to them. Have you EVER heard anything Romney or Ryan said remotely to interest an African American? That's why they are tracking at 0%. Frankly that is an embarrassment for the Republicans but unfortunately they don't see it that way. They want the country to be made up of white, straight Christians and they make it clear every time they open their mouth.

I don't watch networks anymore for this kind of coverage. It's very limited and doesn't provide much insight. I spend my time going between MSNBC, FOX News and CNN for this stuff.

Fortunately the nation's demographic trends make the current Repub vector a downbound train. Either they change or they go extinct.

Some of them seem to get that. Note the occasional syllables of reason emanating from such as Jeb Bush as well as some younger ones. How long it takes before today's party rulers die off seems the open question.

• Members

I watched most of it, on CBS by chance, and found the cutaways they chose somewhat disturbing. I'd say 4 out of 5 were African Americans, implying they were the majority in attendance and the only group enthusiastic about the President. It's certainly great to show it's a very inclusive party and (I'm guessing) stark contrast to the other convention, but given CBS's demographic it seemed to me like it was geared to marginalize the enthusiasm if not outright racist...

Anybody else notice this? How was other network's coverage?

I watched it on PBS (KQED, San Francisco) and noticed the same thing. Most of the camera shots were close-ups so I couldn't tell if the convention floor itself was packed with minorities or if the camera operators made it a point to focus on attendees of color. My guess is that it was some of both. (Veterans were another group that was highly visible.)

It seemed the intent was to show that the white 'majority' represented a declining group in the U. S., which it is, although the pictures coming from the convention floor appeared to exaggerate the trend.

Personally, I welcomed this view of our country. I didn't see it as racist as much as presenting a country made up of lots of different folks and perhaps fast-forwarding us to the mix of ethnicities we might see a few decades from now. It looked like a much more interesting place to live in than one made up primarily of white folks. I thought it provided a clear distinction between the Democratic and Republican views of the country.

I flipped over to CBS a couple of times, enough to learn that they didn't show Patrick Deval's speech. He's Mitt Romney's successor as Governor of Massachusetts, and largely responsible for implementing the State's universal health care program. His speech is definitely worth a read, in my opinion.

Also, not sure if CBS covered Julian Castro's twin brother Joaquin introducing him. Color me shallow, but there's a pair of cuties I could easily enjoy seeing more of. :rolleyes:

julian%20castro%20twins.JPG

Guest hitoallusa

The problem is it doesn't matter which race is dominant, AF or caucasian or hispanic. My point is that people base their vote on one's race is a symptom of racial conflict. Whites will become minority in the US soon and I do hope the race issue get smaller in the end. Unfortunately, I'm not so optimistic... We will see...