Guest EXPAT

Missouri Senate race turns to the absurd

In a moment of gross stupidity, Congressman Todd Akin, who is running against Senator Claire McCaskill for her Senate seat, said “From what I understand from doctors… if it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.” Akin has since said he "misspoke" but still doesn't support abortion in cases of rape, and can we please talk about the economy now?

I think Claire McCaskill did right by hoping he would be her running mate. Landslide now Claire?

• Members

Landslide now Claire?

No, but it moved the seat from Repub lockdown to the in play column.

Where do they find these guys? I mean it's not like Congress-critter Adkin is some tea party newbie. He should know better than to let stuff like that out of his mouth.

• Members

Just one more example of how the GOP has attracted the real nuts, so many in fact that what were once viewed as sane conservatives fall all over themselves to appeal to the wackos. Those who don't, like Richard Lugar and Bob Bennett, get the guillotine.

BTW, I object to phrase 'in a moment of gross stupidity'. It may have been a stupid thing to say but that overlooks the real importance which is not what he says but what he believes. He didn't misspeak, he candidly said what he believes. That his backed up by his so-called apology for using the wrong word but not the wrong concept.

Akin said that he was trying to refer specifically "forcible rape" in his comment, but that "legitimate" was "absolutely the wrong word" for him to use. But he still believes he deserves that Senate spot.

• Members

Apparently, a bit more to this than meets the eye.

According to Missouri law, if Akin exits the race by 5:00pm tomorrow, he can be replaced by another candidate. The Missouri Republican party would then have two weeks to name a replacement, and the replacement would have to file within twenty-eight days of Akin's exit.

Without a special court order, if Akin doesn't bow out by tomorrow at 5:00pm, he remains the Republican candidate, complete with all his baggage.

Seems that's why he's under such intense pressure to bow out at once. The head of the National Republican Senatorial Campaign Committee called him today to say the Committee was pulling the $5 million budgeted for the Missouri race. And every Republican with a bullhorn seems to be aiming it in his direction.

Akin says he's sticking with it.

Interesting to see what happens next. Guess we won't have long to wait.

• Members

Thanks for the post, Lookin. :thumbsup:

I couldn't figure out why his fellow Republicans suddenly went nuclear rather than help him walk it back. Who knew they still have a chance to dump him in favor of someone who can read a teleprompter.

Hang in there, Todd! Don't let those silk stocking types piss on your head and tell you it's raining! Hell, man, any real man knows they wouldn't get preggers on you unless they enjoyed it.

• Members
Hang in there, Todd!

You get your wish. And mine. He's staying in.

The walk back I'm looking forward to is from all those Republicans who lambasted him in the past two days.

Something tells me they will be tiptoeing very gingerly back to full support, rather than let the Senate seat go to a Democrat.

200911111707122218_600w.gif . . . 200911111707122218_600w.gif . . . 200911111707122218_600w.gif . . . 200911111707122218_600w.gif

200911111707122218_600w.gif . . . 200911111707122218_600w.gif . . . 200911111707122218_600w.gif . . .

200911111707122218_600w.gif . . . 200911111707122218_600w.gif . . . 200911111707122218_600w.gif . . . 200911111707122218_600w.gif

. . . . .

• Members

You get your wish. And mine. He's staying in.

The walk back I'm looking forward to is from all those Republicans who lambasted him in the past two days.

Something tells me they will be tiptoeing very gingerly back to full support, rather than let the Senate seat go to a Democrat.

. . . . .

LOL, that was my thought also, lookin. Ain't no way the Repubs can let that seat fall to the Dems just for lack of funding.

Be interesting to see if the Senate Repub guys can find a way to slip that money back into the race w/o it being reported until after the election.