Guest lurkerspeaks

agree or disagree???

Guest lurkerspeaks

A 28 yr old female teacher in Texas is convicted of having sexual relations with several 18 yr old male students. She was found guilty of 16 counts of having an inappropriate relationship between a student and teacher. The second-degree felony is punishable by two to 20 years in prison per count.

Do you agree with this law, or do you believe it was two consensual adults?

Personally, I agree it is not a good thing for a teacher to be involved with students, and she should lose her teaching credentials, but prison time???

Read more: http://www.azcentral...l#ixzz23qoDrVOt

I think that if they were over 18 then it shouldn't be a felony. Now she probably deserves to lose her job by violating policy of the school board or the school itself, but that is as far as it should go legally. I'm sure the consenting age in Texas is actually younger in Texas than 18 probably but I don't know for sure.

Guest FourAces

Here in Texas this is a pretty big story. First to answer EXPAT question the age of consent is 17 in almost all cases in Texas.

I don't think she should be allowed to continue teaching and I feel that she probably should serve a year or two then probation. If this was a male teacher with 18y/o female students people would want to put him away for life. I never have bought into all these women teachers getting off with such light sentences ... the double standard drives me a bit crazy.

Guest lurkerspeaks

four aces, but they are all of legal consenting age. Shouldn't that count for something? We aren't talking about an adult teacher and underaged students...

Guest hitoallusa

She should be freed with no criminal charges unless the sexual relationship started before they reached 18...18 year olds are allowed to vote and drive... They made their choices. Now she slept with many boys from her school and that's something that needs to be reprimanded but she should not go jail for it...

• Members

A 28 yr old female teacher in Texas is convicted of having sexual relations with several 18 yr old male students. She was found guilty of 16 counts of having an inappropriate relationship between a student and teacher. The second-degree felony is punishable by two to 20 years in prison per count.

Do you agree with this law, or do you believe it was two consensual adults?

Personally, I agree it is not a good thing for a teacher to be involved with students, and she should lose her teaching credentials, but prison time???

Read more: http://www.azcentral...l#ixzz23qoDrVOt

I'm with you.

• Members

would that law apply to a professor and her 20 yo college students (since the crime is not statutory but "inappropriate relations between student and teacher")? Seems two consenting adults should be legally allowed to have sex regardless of what their jobs are. But the jobs should reserve the right to fire them for it.

If they want to punish her then punish those kids too then... I hope she can get released so she can go back to her children...

Thank you! Also to zip's remark -- that the male here is deemed by his esteemed govt to be of age to enlist (or in a worse time to get drafted) and thus have his ass shot off. To quote none the less than Nixon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0609000357/ref=redir_mdp_mobile).

Guest epigonos

When parents send their children to school they should be able to do so confident that their child will not have to face sexual advances from their teachers. The age of consent is only part of the issue here. Probably the greater issue is the legal agreement between parents and schools that their children will be protected and not exploited while at school.

Now as far as I’m concerned the manner in which a female or male teacher is treated, in this type of situation, should be exactly the same. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

This opinion is offered from a retired high school teacher of thirty five plus years. During my teaching years I encountered three or four cases of male teachers developing a sexual relationship with female students. None of these cases were prosecuted basically because the school district and the student’s parents didn’t want to face the bad publicity. In all cases the teachers were forced to resign under the threat of possible prosecution. Until recently it was unheard of for female teachers to be involved sexually with their male students. This phenomena is definitely recent.

• Members

would that law apply to a professor and her 20 yo college students (since the crime is not statutory but "inappropriate relations between student and teacher")? Seems two consenting adults should be legally allowed to have sex regardless of what their jobs are. But the jobs should reserve the right to fire them for it.

I fully disagree with this. Sure there may be some instances where no harm is done but on the whole there are reasons for societal pressures against doctor/patient and teacher/student relationships. People in a position of power over others need to look elsewhere for dates and those who think it's fine to date/fuck people in their care are in the wrong profession, IMHO.

Criminal charges/prison time do seem excessive though. But certainly deserved to lose her credentials and become notorious.

Now speaking of double standards, imagine for a moment if it'd been a male teacher and male students!

Guest zipperzone

As the students were 18 years old, I really don't think it makes sense to keep referring to them as "children". If they didn't like the idea of sex with the teacher they could just tell her to fuck off and report it to the authorities.

• Members

I fully disagree with this. Sure there may be some instances where no harm is done but on the whole there are reasons for societal pressures against doctor/patient and teacher/student relationships. People in a position of power over others need to look elsewhere for dates and those who think it's fine to date/fuck people in their care are in the wrong profession, IMHO.

Criminal charges/prison time do seem excessive though. But certainly deserved to lose her credentials and become notorious.

Now speaking of double standards, imagine for a moment if it'd been a male teacher and male students!

You say you fully disagree with me yet you came to exactly the same conclusion. My statement says that two consenting adults "should be LEGALLY allowed to have sex (meaning no criminal charges and no prison time)" but that their jobs should "reserve the right to fire them for it" (meaning they lose their credentials and choose a different profession). Not sure I agree that you fully disagree. Seems to me like you feel exactly the same way.

Guest FourAces

four aces, but they are all of legal consenting age. Shouldn't that count for something? We aren't talking about an adult teacher and underaged students...

Lurker I still feel the same. I do not think the issue has to do with age of consent but more of position of power or authority. For example, I wonder if you or others would feel the same way if this was a doctor patient relationship instead of teacher student?

Guest zipperzone

Lurker I still feel the same. I do not think the issue has to do with age of consent but more of position of power or authority. For example, I wonder if you or others would feel the same way if this was a doctor patient relationship instead of teacher student?

I would see nothing wrong with it if it were a doctor/patient relationship. Especially if you passed on the doctor's name to me :-)

• Members

You say you fully disagree with me yet you came to exactly the same conclusion. My statement says that two consenting adults "should be LEGALLY allowed to have sex (meaning no criminal charges and no prison time)" but that their jobs should "reserve the right to fire them for it" (meaning they lose their credentials and choose a different profession). Not sure I agree that you fully disagree. Seems to me like you feel exactly the same way.

You're right, somehow I missed the last sentence I quoted! Sorry.

Guest lurkerspeaks

I am not saying it is ok, I do NOT think it is right. But, at the same time, I don't believe she should be convicted of a felony and face imprisonment. I believe she should lose her teaching credentials.

Guest FourAces

I am not saying it is ok, I do NOT think it is right. But, at the same time, I don't believe she should be convicted of a felony and face imprisonment. I believe she should lose her teaching credentials.

I agree BUT only if a male in the same situation was treated the same... and that is not the case. So throw the book at her :P

Guest hitoallusa

And her husband was far away... I feel sorry for the soldiers and their family... The judge could have been lenient on her sentence too, IMHO... People needs to be practical... I would like to send 9 jury members to the same war zone separated from their family for at least half a year and see what happens...