Guest gcursor

College update

Guest gcursor

I'll have to break the postings down into separate posts and space them apart so this is the first one.

I had both a Digital Audio AND a Digital Video class this year. They are both core classes for my degree. On top of that, I took them both during Summer where you learn the same amount of material (as a regular term) except in HALF the amount of time (9 weeks as opposed to 18). Near the end, it was assignment upon assignment upon assignment (wait..this one's gonna be late) upon assignment..(wait..this one's gonna be late) then final exam..final exam. WHEW. Also factor into this that I'm rapidly approaching 50.

anyway I really did enjoy the classes. they allowed me (in some cases) to really explore my creativity and see what I was capable of. There were some days that I just couldn't understand the editing software or whatever but I would go home and get some rest and think about tackling it again the next day which worked quite well for me.

In the end, I managed to get a 4.0 on my Audio class and a 3.5 in my video class. I was 13 points away from a 4.0 in video. My gpa is now a 3.70 because of a terrible disaster I had with taking Assembler course (Computer's most basic language..consisting purely of 1's and 0's and doing instructions with registers. for example, when you multiply, you don't "multiply", you put a value in a register and put another value in another register and add them together multiple times..THATS multiplication to the computer)

Anyway my scores should be enough to get me on the Dean's List but not yet enough for the President's list (need a straight 4.0 average). and that's my college update

in the fall, i'll be taking 4 classes (full class load) consisting of a Media Ethics class, a cinematography class, a pre-production design class, and my algebra class to prep me for college algebra.

Guest hitoallusa

Congrats! I love going to classes and learn new things. I'm glad that you are doing that Gcursor... ^_^ Big hugs for your next semester~~~

Guest Hoover42

I'm just curious, why did you have to take a course in assembler language? This is normally only a core course for hard core computer science majors.

it may be a class the school uses to help teach logical thinking, or perhaps it's just something to weed out those with a low mental pain threshold :smile:

Guest gcursor

to ncbored...im not sure..who knows where the world or i will be in 2 year's time? Im still betting the world is gonna blow up in december. it better because I've stopped paying all my bills.

to eeyore..u are right. it is a very advanced course. at the time I was pursuing a degree in computer science. my cousin (who had previously gotten one) talked to me on the phone one day and told me that if I was going to take programming classes then I should start with Assembler. Why? She said that IF I finished Assembler then the rest of the languages will be a piece of cake. Of course, she was right but she vastly understated the amount of effort I'd have to put into that class to begin with.

to hoover42...actually by that time, I had already taken the Intro to Logic course that they require you to take for a computer science degree. that class was so easy for me that it was laughable.

to everybody...thanks for all your well wishes ^_^

Guest gcursor

The college training continues. I'm still in classes for Fall which will end in mid-December. One of my teachers that teaches Ethics has been admiring my writing on my "tests" and papers that I turn in. She keeps telling me that I really am quite a good writer and need to get into that as soon as possible because she says that I have a talent and shouldn't waste it.

Anyway I'm signed up for the next term and I'll be going 5 days a week (4 classes). This semester, I would only go 3 days a week and study at home on 1 via the internet. They changed my program's requirements so I may have to go to school a bit longer than first expected.

It still amazes me to see how the classes start with 18 people and how quickly the kids get this attitude of where they don't want to do the work. One of my teachers say that it's the "community college atmosphere". She said that she teaches at a major University as well as at the community college and when she gives an I to her students at the University, about 99% end up making it up. However she said that in Community College, people usually end up never coming back if she gives them an I which is strange because this is a required class for certain disciplines.

Anyway I've started learning how to better cope with one of my instructors in a camera class. He's always telling people where to go and what to do to the tiniest detail. I've gotten so I better know how to calm him down and how to tell him that enough is enough when I want to. I'm not being mean or anything though. It's just that at my age, I don't need all that instruction and if he tells me to do something then I'll do it but don't keep saying things every 2 minutes because it's not gonna get done any faster. The kids in the class are all very respectful of him and don't say much but I'm older than him and I can take a different approach. I think he's a great teacher though but sometimes I just really want to say to him, "Breathe! Breathe! Slow...slower. Calm down. rest for a minute!" because he's always in a panic.

I've been pleased with a lot of my projects and I'm hoping to get very good grades this term as well. ;l By the way, if you guys know of any sites that I can look online that I could write for then let me know (and I don't need to get paid but I just want the experience is all) ^_^

talk to you later

Guest hitoallusa

You are having fun and studying hard... ^_^ I want to do that too..^_^ I think I will take some courses in the future too..^_^

The college training continues. I'm still in classes for Fall which will end in mid-December. One of my teachers that teaches Ethics has been admiring my writing on my "tests" and papers that I turn in. She keeps telling me that I really am quite a good writer and need to get into that as soon as possible because she says that I have a talent and shouldn't waste it.

Anyway I'm signed up for the next term and I'll be going 5 days a week (4 classes). This semester, I would only go 3 days a week and study at home on 1 via the internet. They changed my program's requirements so I may have to go to school a bit longer than first expected.

It still amazes me to see how the classes start with 18 people and how quickly the kids get this attitude of where they don't want to do the work. One of my teachers say that it's the "community college atmosphere". She said that she teaches at a major University as well as at the community college and when she gives an I to her students at the University, about 99% end up making it up. However she said that in Community College, people usually end up never coming back if she gives them an I which is strange because this is a required class for certain disciplines.

Anyway I've started learning how to better cope with one of my instructors in a camera class. He's always telling people where to go and what to do to the tiniest detail. I've gotten so I better know how to calm him down and how to tell him that enough is enough when I want to. I'm not being mean or anything though. It's just that at my age, I don't need all that instruction and if he tells me to do something then I'll do it but don't keep saying things every 2 minutes because it's not gonna get done any faster. The kids in the class are all very respectful of him and don't say much but I'm older than him and I can take a different approach. I think he's a great teacher though but sometimes I just really want to say to him, "Breathe! Breathe! Slow...slower. Calm down. rest for a minute!" because he's always in a panic.

I've been pleased with a lot of my projects and I'm hoping to get very good grades this term as well. ;l By the way, if you guys know of any sites that I can look online that I could write for then let me know (and I don't need to get paid but I just want the experience is all) ^_^

talk to you later

Guest gcursor

The Fall grades are posted. One 3.5 (no big surprise there) and three 4.0 grades. Too bad the world is ending tomorrow or I'd be able to go to the next term ^_^

gcursor

Guest hitoallusa

Way to go Gcursor! Keep up the good work..^_^

The Fall grades are posted. One 3.5 (no big surprise there) and three 4.0 grades. Too bad the world is ending tomorrow or I'd be able to go to the next term ^_^

gcursor

Guest gcursor

well I'll be leaving the forums soon for a while

Last night, I learned a class I had signed up for in college was suddenly cancelled.

Then today I had to look at my schedule and determine what new class I would want to take on THESE days between THESE times that are VISIBLE ONLY TO HUMANS only during the FULL MOON OF THE LUNAR CYCLE!

Jesus..I'm glad I took Introductory Alegbra already so I could figure out the permutations needed to narrow down the class I wanted

Guest hitoallusa

Gcursor don't leave... I will be sad without you...

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="gcursor" data-cid="73685" data-time="1357791533"><p>

well I'll be leaving the forums soon for a while<br />

<br />

Last night, I learned a class I had signed up for in college was suddenly cancelled. <br />

<br />

Then today I had to look at my schedule and determine what new class I would want to take on THESE days between THESE times that are VISIBLE ONLY TO HUMANS only during the FULL MOON OF THE LUNAR CYCLE!<br />

<br />

Jesus..I'm glad I took Introductory Alegbra already so I could figure out the permutations needed to narrow down the class I wanted</p></blockquote>

Guest gcursor

I'm not leaving Hitoall ^_^ I'm just going on a temporary hiatus so I can start my college classes. I'll be back periodically ^_^ and I'll miss you too but I'll be back after this term ends which will be into SPRING by then! ^_^

Guest gcursor

classes are well underway. I can always tell because I have to sleep twice as long everyday ;) This term, I am taking a

Video post-production

Producer class

Intermediate Algebra

Audio recording 2

I've already submitted some of the projects for my classes. My post-processing teacher loved my commercial and I got full points on it. It was this Boston tourism commercial that I did a bunch of interesting effects for. For example, I had BOSTON scroll across the screen while the letters were filled with moving images as it moved. Also at the end of the commercial, there is a log that is up on the screen representing Boston (the Patriot logo) and it says Boston and as the music and the voice-over is finishing, it says "Always a step ahead" and so I synchronized the words ALWAYS A STEP AHEAD to come up precisely when the announcer says them which draws people's attention I believe.

My Producer class is going better. There is a woman on our team who is not pulling her weight and she keeps making excuses on why she's not doing things. I took over for her as Producer for one week but then she said she would take it back over but she's not following through on stuff and communicating with the team. The team is talking about kicking her out as Producer and putting me back in but I told them they would have to discuss that with her because we had a knock-down drag out fight the other week when she came back to school and I found out she wasn't doing stuff.

We currently have a client that we are producing commercials for and that is currently the project we are working on. Today, I will register us for one of the "fast" film festivals..probably a 48/5 which means you are given specs on what film you'll be doing, and given a prop and a line of dialogue and then you have 2 days to create, film, shoot, edit and submit a 5 minute finished short film. It is intense to say the very least. I am looking forward to it very much though.

One of the ladies that we interviewed for our project (who's a folk singer) says that she will send us a copy of her new song and she will let us do a music video to it. I was pretty excited because of how cool that sounds. We probably won't get credit or anything (she said she'll give us 100 dollars) but I still am looking forward to it! We must've made a pretty good impression on her for her to offer that to us! I got an email from her after I thanked her for the interview and she wrote back how happy she was that I was leading these kids in these challenges and getting them ready for life. Apparently she doesn't know that I AM one of the students too! Who can blame her though since I'm WAY above the ages of everybody in my classes and sometimes even above my teacher's age. My instructor for that class saw how she thought I was the "teacher" and was going to respond but decided to let it go...I told her that I didn't think it would be good to upset the apple barrel because she could withdraw that music video offer if she gets offended in the slightest (you know how talent is!)

Much of my time lately (especially in the Producer class) has been getting schooled in the art of "dealing with talent". I remember how I told this performer about our project and her road manager wrote back and said they liked it and we could have 30 minutes. I wrote back that I kind of wanted 60 minutes (because I didn't know any better). Then I got a response back from her manager in Nashville (by this time I was thinking How many people do you have?!) and he said that she was a very busy person and 30 minutes was all that I was going to get. My instructor told me in class later that she was surprised they would give me 30 minutes! and I was like "Oh...REALLY?" But I'm getting better. You just have to remember to treat everybody you write to really really really really really politely all the time! I'm not sure how our new producer is adapting to the role but I hear that she has been having some problems...well she's only 19 so there's that too.

anyway I thought that I'd drop by and give an update. I'm sorry it's so long. I congratulate you if you made it past the first sentence ^_^ I still check in on the forum now and then as I have time since my schedule is so draining. I would never forget to stop by and say hi to you guys ^_^

gcursor