Lucky

Sikhs In The News

• Members

It took only one serious sicko to bring the Sikh religion and culture into the mainstream media. Known mostly by the turbans that the men wear, Sikhs are often confused with Hindus and Muslims, but more often are thought to be terrorists, easily identified by the turban.

The turban itself is a source of controversy, as airport insecurity officers insist on hand checking a man's turban as he attempts to enter an airport. A New York politician is trying to get police to hire Sikh men as officers, but still allow the turban and the beard which Sikh men commonly wear.

Sikh men also carry a kirpan, which is essentially a small sword, but more ceremonial in nature.

Airport insecurity officers have had trouble with those, too.

The first Sikh person I knowingly encountered was in Bangkok, and yes, there is a commercial aspect to the story. His family operated a street stall near Patpong, and he worked there. But he had a side job, which I discovered one night while walking by.

My eye lingered the proverbial half-second too long when I saw him. Being young, he had no beard, and was not wearing a turban. I no sooner passed the stall when he was walking by my side, greeting me by saying "where are you going?" I turned it back at him and said "where are you going?"

He responded "I go where you go." This was news to me, and I immediately wondered how to get rid of him. But his persistence was cute, and so was he. Ultimately he took me to a short term motel, showed me his kirpan, and proceeded to educate me on the sexuality of the Sikh male. (I learned that while he was barely 18, he was not new to meeting strangers on the street.)

We left the motel, and I walked him back to the family stall, where he resumed his position with not even a look from his parents. Don't ask, don't tell?

Ever since, I have had a soft spot for Sikhs. Too bad that sicko didn't.