Lucky

Sister Boom Boom Has Died

• Members

Jack Fertig, a San Francisco astrologer who went on to fame as a member of the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, Sister boom Boom, has died at the age of 57. Liver cancer is given as the cause.

The Sisters were a colorful if not uncontroversial group who became part of the scenery in San Francisco during the AIDS crisis worst moments.

"Mr. Fertig joined the Sisters not long after they were formed in 1979 and soon became the group's public face. He wore stiletto heels, foam breasts and a fake nun's habit. His name appeared in Herb Caen's Chronicle column regularly, and he was often seen on television. He performed an "exorcism" in Union Square during the 1984 Democratic convention to purge anti-gay elements from the party."

Sister Boom Boom Holds An Exorcism

628x471.jpg

• Members

Lucky, I thank you for this thread. When I saw the headline, I decided to read, for I do remember this sister well although we never really met for long. I watched the sisters perform their rites during the times that you cited.

Too bad! S/He was not that old!