Guest FourAces

Brothers & Sisters / Dogs & Cats

Guest FourAces

So just wondering if others out there have brothers or sisters that they don't talk with or get along with well? If so how do you deal with it ... especially if you actually do love and care about your sibling?

Guest EXPAT

I have three older siblings, 1 brother and 2 sisters. I'm very close to my sisters. But my brother is 20 years older than I am and we have never lived in the same house ever. And we only lived in the same town when he happened to live in the town where I went to college. Although he moved six months after I got there. So we see each other occasionally at holidays and at weddings and funerals. And when we do talk I get all of the Fox News talking points from him which drives me nuts. He wants a flat tax, he wants Obamacare fully repealed, etc. Although I told him that he is not allowed to voice his opinion on healthcare because he is already on socialized medical care. . .I'm actually closer to his children than to him. My niece is only 10 years younger than me and my nephew is 12 years younger. So if he needed me I would be there but I don't really feel like he's my brother if that makes sense.

Guest samfitzpatrick

I have one sister that I do not speak with, although I try to stay in touch with her children. While we were close when younger, she experienced some illnesses a few years ago and chose to break off communications with the rest of the family at that time.

Since then, I've learned about some efforts she made to have our mother declared mentally incompentent (while she was still teaching and receiving statewide recognition for her excellence in the classroom) to take over managing her financial matters. That discovery allowed me to stop making one-sided efforts to stay in touch. It has been three years since I last saw her, bumping into her and her family at church when I was visiting Mom.

In my mind, she is no different that some of the guys I lived with in college --- great guys who I enjoyed college with; but over the years we've fallen out of touch. If I bump into them, I'll ask how they are and what's up in their lives, but not really make any effort to reconnect.

Guest tomcal

So just wondering if others out there have brothers or sisters that they don't talk with or get along with well? If so how do you deal with it ... especially if you actually do love and care about your sibling?

I have one brother nine years older than me and we haven't talked since I was in college after we had a argument. we were never close due to the age difference and we are opposites in every way both physically and personality wise, He's a avid hunter, i hate it, he watches ESPN 24/7 I have no interest except for NFL football, He is reserved and quiet...I'am not! He goes to Mass every Sunday, I haven't stepped in a church once I got out of Catholic H.S.!....I could go on, but I have never felt there was any loss not having contact with him, he wasn't a big brother when I was growing up but just a older jerk! :-)

Guest lurkerspeaks

Definitely a topic i can relate to. I have 4 siblings.. 3 older and one younger. The younger sister is the only one I speak with. I have a distinct dislike for my older sister. She took extreme advantage of our mom during her last year alive. Between my sister and her then 17 yr old son, they basically wiped out my mom's meager savings. Her son actually stole my mom's checkbook and forged several thousands of dollars in checks. I found out about the theft and with my mom's bank, tried to get my mom to press charges in order to get the money returned. My sister coerced my mom (who was in failing health and mental agility at the time) thru guilt into not pressing charges. So while my mom had scrimped and saved all of her life in order to have money for her final years, it was all wiped out within one year by my sister and her son. My two older brothers went along with all of this, and in fact, while my mom had originally had me placed as her power of attorney, they got together and had me removed, while my mom wasn't in any real right mind to differ with them.

Haven't spoken to any of them since my mom passed away back in 2005 and have no desire to do so. I can not forgive or forget-taking advantage of your own mother..