Lucky

Should She Be in Jail?

• Members

An Oregon teacher boasted after having sex with her young students:

"No jail for me and that is only because of luck … no witnesses coming forward," the message reads. "He said he was of legal age, but he lied. I just can't help wanting these hot young boys … and they want me. Who am I to spoil a young man's fantasy. Damn."

Huffington Post reports: Kristle Vandever, a former English as a second language teacher in Oregon, has lost her teaching license for engaging in sexual activity with "one or more students" and providing underage students with alcohol. But now, some are wondering why she's not in jail.

She resigned her job in 2010. And then it took two years to revoke her license. But, no jail term.

Huff Post goes on: Video of some activity was captured on a cell phone and shared with other students. But that wasn't enough evidence to prove a crime, local police told KEPR.

I guess those young boys really did like it! How could that be? Don't they know that they were violated?

She's was a second grade teacher, so the student wasn't hers.

Perhaps because of the consent the prosecutor declined to lay charges.

I respect age of consent laws, but am a bit leery about them. They lay down black and white lines in a world of grey.

I had sex with an older man when I was 14 I think. He didn't take advantage of me, and I'm not 'traumatized' by it or any such nonsense.

When you get into pre-teen ages, clearly there's a problem, but I think we need to be careful about how we apply this. There as a guy in Maine who was prosecuted for sleeping with his 16 year old girl friend when he was 18. He ended up on the sex offenders list, and then some nut job decided that he was a child rapist and killed him for it. (didn't know the guy, just found his name on the sex offenders list and in his own twisted way thought he was doing the world a favor).

Here in Oregon, the age of consent is 18, which I think is kinda crazy high. So I'd suggest a little more skepticism about whether she deserves jail or not...