Guest EXPAT

Romney embarrasses US while in London

Guest EXPAT

WASHINGTON -- Mitt Romney embarrassed the United States, and himself, by going to London and insulting the British in advance of the Olympics, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) said Thursday evening.

"It's not good for us as a country -- it's not good for him -- but as a country to have somebody that's nominated by one of the principal parties to go over and insult everybody," Reid said.

Romney, who takes great pride in heading the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, caused a media sensation Thursday when he said there were "disconcerting" signals that the British might not be prepared for the coming games.

Reid, in an interview with The Huffington Post, said he doesn't see how Romney could have made such a blunder, and had advice for the GOP hopeful the next time he visits an Olympic Games. "I think I would have thought up this on my own and not [have to rely] on the staff," said Reid. "I would go there and I would say, 'They have done a remarkably good job. I know how they have been hurt with the economy. But they have done this. I have done it myself. It's so hard to do and they have done a remarkably good job.' That's what they should have done. He would have been cheered and not have the mayor, before 60,000 people, belittle one of our major party nominees. And that's what the mayor did."

A Romney spokeswoman did not return a request for comment.

Romney also duffed his first foreign trip as the presumed GOP nominee by revealing that he held a secret meeting with British intelligence about the games. His disastrous performance is being chronicled minute by minute on Twitter with a hashtag dedicated to him --#RomneyShambles.

Conservative British Prime Minister David Cameron mocked Romney in rebuttal. "We are holding an Olympic Games in one of the busiest, most active, bustling cities anywhere in the world. Of course, it's easier if you hold an Olympic Games in the middle of nowhere," he said, referring to Salt Lake City.

Romney has long been looking forward to the Olympics as a way to move past the storm of his unreleased tax returns and scrutiny around his time at Bain Capital. Reid said he doesn't think Romney has found dry land.

"You don't weather a storm by creating a couple along the way," Reid said.

• Members

Romney didn't embarrass the U.S. He embarrassed himself and his campaign. He presented his ineptitude publicly for all the world to see. Quite a vision for the wanna-be future leader of the Free World. Even Charles Krauthammer was speechless. :o

The chickens are coming home to rest in the GOP coop. Cozying up to the crazies and Tea Party matrons would eventually come back on them. This is one form, where Mitt is the best the primary process could come up with. Let the crazies take over the parade and normal people won't want in... only the crazies and the pathologically ambitious.

Guest EXPAT

True. But I was using the usual right wing crap when they claimed that Obama embarrassed the US by "apologizing for America" 4 years ago.

Guest EXPAT

And he backtracks today on The Today Show in an interview with Matt Lauer. He said, "After being here a couple of days I can see London is ready for the Olympics. I hope that the attention will fall back to the athletes and away from the politicians when the event starts tonight."

• Members

Thank God Sara Palin wasn't there.......

I'm lucky enough to travel to Europe often. The people of Europe are constantly baffled by our representatives. When Bush was President, I was down right embarrassed to travel. It wasn't much better when we offered up the McCain / Palin ticket. Many saw a war monger/idiot ticket as more of the same. Now we're offering up a robot that belongs to a cult that forces tithing.

Guest EXPAT

I agree. When I lived in Europe i had to endure constant criticism about Bush (even though I agreed with them) everywhere I went. It was amusing to hear consistently how "dumb" they thought our leaders were. Although Clinton was an exception to that rule (other than his sexual dalliances.) And Hillary is also well-liked by most Europeans. I haven't been back since Obama was elected so I don't know their view on him.