Lucky

Body Building Supplements Worthless

• Members

There was a time, which now seems quite long ago, when I had bulges where my biceps are. Now the only bulge is in my belly. My fitness days are long over, so now scientists reveal the truth about all of those body building supplements They are junk!

The NY Times reports in its Science section today that a recent survey of performance-enhancing claims for dozens of fitness products show that the claims these products make have not been thoroughly evaluated, and the few that have "appear to have no effect on strength, endurance, speed or reduced muscle fatigue."

I remember that the gyms I went to would sell drinks to help you recover from the workout. Other "sports drinks" were said to have various benefits that are known not to be true.

So, much money has been wasted by bodybuilders who only ended up with expensive poop. They peed away their dollars, and, no doubt, still do. So how do so many guys seem to have that muscular look? Hard work! And, probably, for some, testosterone shots- the one supplement that I think does help build strong bodies!

Read the article: http://well.blogs.ny...cts/?ref=health

Guest ftlboy

Interesting article, but I felt it was inconclusive. My only concern in this area is for someone like myself that is a senior citizen. Low "T" levels and the constant battle to replace the bodies natural ability to lose muscle mass as you age is an ongoing battle. There are a handful of companies that produce high quality products that do work, but you have to do your homework. While slowing the aging process might be a bit of a stress, you can certainly look and feel a thousand times better by being consistent. If in fact that is someones concern.

You must be consistent in the gym, with cardio, and with your diet. Put either one of those on the back burner, and any work you try to achieve will be wasted. I am somewhere north of 60 years old, but I go to the gym 6 days a week, and even go to the gym while I travel. I take protein supplements, eat very healthy and reap the rewards of those efforts daily. It has been at least 10 years and no one has even come close to guessing my real age. Most people are shocked when I tell them how old I am.

The problem with articles like that one is that people will read it and just give up and take it as fact. The truth is that consistent exercise, quality supplements, and a healthy diet can put on muscle mass and increase the quality of life for those in there 80's and beyond. Each individual has to decide whether or not it is worth the time and energy.

• Members

I have no problem with you expressing a different opinion, but I think you did not read the article I linked. You state that one can use "quality" supplements, what ever that is, "but you have to do your home work."

The difficulty in "doing your homework" is cited in the article. Of the hundreds of supplements cited, only about ten percent cited any studies to back up their claims. And, if one does his homework, he finds that these studies are often worthless.

Finally, protein is protein and is an established supplement. There are differences on the value of whey over other kinds, but one can take protein and see a benefit. The article linked refers to the multitude of other supplements offered to body builders.

Read the article. Here's how it begins:

In a recent survey of the performance-enhancing claims made for dozens of fitness products, researchers found not a single one that could be supported by rigorous scientific research. Moreover, the few fitness products that have been thoroughly evaluated appear to have no effect on strength, endurance, speed or reduced muscle fatigue.

“All the companies say they’ve got a scientific basis for these products,” said the senior author, Dr. Matthew Thompson, a senior clinical scientist at the University of Oxford. “That sounds good until you look at it with an objective scientific point of view.”

Dr. Thompson and his colleagues examined advertising for sports drinks, oral supplements, footwear, clothing and devices like wrist bands and compression stockings in 100 general-interest magazines and the top 10 sports and fitness magazines in Britain and the United States.

Guest ftlboy

Sir, I actually read your article very carefully. I do not think that we are that far apart on this issue. You should note that I am very clear in explaining my point, that exercise, diet and daily cardio is 80% of the battle. I am not suggesting, nor would I ever suggest that supplements alone will increase muscle growth, endurance, or reduce muscle fatigue.

To be fair your article also says "The author acknowledges that while they tried to use a representative sample of manufactures' claims, it is possible that the products they analyzed were "at the worst end of the spectrum," and they concede that given more time, some of the companies may have been able to provide references.

Hence my comment on finding quality products and doing your research. The exercise and health industry, world wide, is a multi billion dollar a year industry. As aging baby boomer's, (assuming of course you are a baby boomer) we are most certainly a target for advertisers. It is up to us to be savvy in our research, and realize that 90% of what is being offered, and what someone claims will empty your wallet and not much else. We have to take our time and decide exactly what it is we want out of the balance of our lives health wise. We must know our limitations and purchase products that will be beneficial. Are there products being advertised that have little or no effect on your health? absolutely. I am not suggesting anything to the contrary, however, many of these products do work, along with a healthy diet and exercise program.