Guest EXPAT

R.I.P. Sally Ride

Guest EXPAT

Sally Ride -- the first American woman to enter space -- died today in California after a 17-month battle with pancreatic cancer.

Sally's company, Sally Ride Science, made the announcement. Sally was 61.

Ride joined NASA in 1978, and in 1983 became the first American woman to enter space. At the time, she was also the youngest American to enter space at age 32.

In 1987, Sally left NASA to work at Stanford's Center for International Security and Arms Control.

What I didn't know but has also been reported today is that she had been in a 17 year lesbian relationship.

R.I.P.

So, Sally, really did ride, just for the other team?

Good for her, and her privacy,

Coming out is very overrated unless there's public pressure for you to do so. And even then, it still is.

Yes, she had been open about her relationship for many years. Everyone that knew her knew this and no issues were ever made of it. Just like Anderson Cooper. I don't see the need to announce to the world "I'm Gay." Although I did and think I told everyone I met for at least 10 years. I'd say, "Hello, I'm Oz and I'm Gay" and they would say, No SHIT.

Sally lived her life happily and with her partner. I think it is a beautiful thing.

• Members

Very brave person to sit in that shuttle knowing that there was really no way out if something happened.

I wonder if history will have to be updated to mention that Sally Ride as the first gay person in space.

• Members

So, Sally, really did ride, just for the other team?

Good for her, and her privacy,

Coming out is very overrated unless there's public pressure for you to do so. And even then, it still is.

7.23.12 I am at my computer at this site. NPR news is in the background, and about twenty minutes ago Ms. Ride's death was acknowledged. In the broadcast the commentator mentioned her sexuality [unknown to me] and stated that one of Ms. Ride's relatives applauded her for leaving a deep imprint and impression on those women who are lesbians. {Sally Ride has been described as a "hero!"]

"Coming out" is definitely "not an easy choice/decision" for ANY of us to make. It truly depends on one's circumstances since this country of ours is so friggin' Puritanical, something that's been truly imbedded in our society per se!