citylaw1

James Holmes

Guest EXPAT

I got the impression that he might be on some sort of sedative. But who knows. They won't say officially if he is in fact on anything.

• Members

Dont you think his evil deed, proves that he's NUTS ?????

I don't know; I bet he suffers from paranoid schizophrenia. It will be interesting to see how the insanity defense plays out, given the stricter interpretations.

I'm wondering if he's a sociopath playing for the cameras, or a schizophrenic unable to control his actions, or a combination of the two.

• Members

Why are we giving space to this pathetic and despicable individual?

Well, I hope that this horrible incident might lead to an educated look at the issues, and ways to intervene prior to the mentally ill amassing an arsenal of weapons. Is he despicable, or suffering from uncontrollable delusions? What I do know is that today we have another mentally ill man headed out with an AK47, attempting more murder: http://news.yahoo.com/photos/entertainment-slideshow/booking-photograph-released-maine-state-police-shows-timothy-photo-084003138.html.

• Members
Well, I hope that this horrible incident might lead to an educated look at the issues, and ways to intervene prior to the mentally ill amassing an arsenal of weapons.

Interesting subject, and one that I expect will be heavily debated in the months ahead.

Like many of us, Holmes left his footprints all over the internet. In addition to the arsenal he ordered on line in the not-so-distant past, he apparently belonged to a dating site at the top of which he recently asked, "Will you visit me in prison?" And it won't surprise me if we learn that he left other tracks that, in hindsight, and taken all together, would suggest that there was a better-than-average chance he would make headlines one day soon. And not in a good way.

I expect there are some who are asking today whether or not it would be a good idea to proactively look for such patterns and keep a closer watch on those who manifest them. The technology is certainly there to do so. And, although there are laws and organizations in place to protect individual privacy, it seems pretty clear that the current trend is toward fewer guarantees of privacy. My guess is that the Holmes case will move us another step toward more intrusive tracking of on-line behavior patterns.

This is veering a bit toward the political, so I may end up launching a thread in that Forum. Unless, of course, I get sidetracked. :rolleyes:

handcuffs%20handcuff%20behind%20back.gif

Guest epigonos

Yeah lookin if any government body ever tried to do what your are suggesting the ACLU would be all over their case screaming violation of privacy and baseless profiling. They would ask, rather correctly, who is to decide who should and who should not be profiled. This is an incredibly slippery slope which should NOT be addressed in the heat of this moment.

• Members

Decided to move my post and start a thread in the Politics Forum, where it won't be such a highjack.

Recent posters, Peace Be Unto You, it's often the case that politically-tinged threads do stay here in this Forum, as discussions tend to remain quite civil. This is typically by common consent though, from time to time, Management does weigh in. :rolleyes:

kicked-out.jpeg

• Members

Interesting subject, and one that I expect will be heavily debated in the months ahead.

Like many of us, Holmes left his footprints all over the internet. In addition to the arsenal he ordered on line in the not-so-distant past, he apparently belonged to a dating site at the top of which he recently asked, "Will you visit me in prison?" And it won't surprise me if we learn that he left other tracks that, in hindsight, and taken all together, would suggest that there was a better-than-average chance he would make headlines one day soon. And not in a good way.

I expect there are some who are asking today whether or not it would be a good idea to proactively look for such patterns and keep a closer watch on those who manifest them. The technology is certainly there to do so. And, although there are laws and organizations in place to protect individual privacy, it seems pretty clear that the current trend is toward fewer guarantees of privacy. My guess is that the Holmes case will move us another step toward more intrusive tracking of on-line behavior patterns.

This is veering a bit toward the political, so I may end up launching a thread in that Forum. Unless, of course, I get sidetracked. :rolleyes:

handcuffs%20handcuff%20behind%20back.gif

I wish I could figure out how to imbed pictures in my posts. I would surely be more obnoxious.

• Members

I wish I could figure out how to imbed pictures in my posts. I would surely be more obnoxious.

I don't see how you can advance that proposition with any degree of certainty, citylaw.

More colorful, perhaps? I might be wiling to concede more colorful.

Guest epigonos

If anybody thinks the United States Senate is going to take up the issue of banning assault weapons prior to the November re-election they are dreaming. There is absolutely NO WAY Harry Reid is going to force the following Democratic senators, up for re-election, to vote on this issue:

Kent Conrad/North Dakota

Joe Machin/West Virginia

Claire McCaskill/Missouri

Ben Neslon/Nebraska

Jon Tester/Montana

They would, to save their political hides, almost certainly have to vote against any such ban. Reid is a genius when it comes to protecting at risk senators from having to vote on issues that could cost them votes. Moral right and wrong is not the issue here or any place else in political. Political survival is the number one issue and the NRA controls large numbers of votes in the above mentioned states.

• Members

If anybody thinks the United States Senate is going to take up the issue of banning assault weapons prior to the November re-election they are dreaming. There is absolutely NO WAY Harry Reid is going to force the following Democratic senators, up for re-election, to vote on this issue:

Kent Conrad/North Dakota

Joe Machin/West Virginia

Claire McCaskill/Missouri

Ben Neslon/Nebraska

Jon Tester/Montana

They would, to save their political hides, almost certainly have to vote against any such ban. Reid is a genius when it comes to protecting at risk senators from having to vote on issues that could cost them votes. Moral right and wrong is not the issue here or any place else in political. Political survival is the number one issue and the NRA controls large numbers of votes in the above mentioned states.

You are most definitely correct.

I don't see how you can advance that proposition with any degree of certainty, citylaw.

Obnoxious

Obsessive

Obstreporous

MsGuy, you just gave me my next get-rich-quick idea: a rhyming dictionary based on first rather than last syllables!

...Come to think of it, is that a new poetic conception?

I paid (well, mummy paid, and the gummint paid and I repaid) for a Yale lit degree, and I don't know the answer. To the Internets!

(citylaw, please give me a pass on this one. I am a slave to wordplay. Among other things.)

Guest EXPAT

Sources have revealed that James Holmes frequented a sex website to review the prostitutes he spent time with before murdering 12 innocent people. Of the three girls he reviewed his sexual escapades with, only one remembers (or at least can admit remembering).

The first working girl asked to comment said she slept with so many men that she couldn't specifically remember Holmes. The second said although he "looked very familiar," she couldn't confirm if he was actually a client.

Third time's the charm though because a woman named Tiffany admitted to sleeping with him twice and said:

"I had no issues with him… he was really nice. He felt bad that I wasn’t getting more customers while in Colorado, so he called a few days later and we met up again.”