Guest EXPAT

Boy Scouts are no longer relevant

Guest zipperzone

Very interesting,,,,,,, they must have a board comprised of Ostriches with their heads stuck in the sand.

Next time I see a Scout outside my local supermarket selling whatever to raise money, I'll just keep on walking.

• Members

I'm unsure how much of this is homophobia and how much is practical reality as they see it. Clearly, there much homophobia present in the organization for the same reason it is impractical at this point for the BSA to broaden its horizons.

The fact is, BSA is underwritten by the churches of America in that many, probably most meeting facilities are provided in churches. It is also likely that many local organizers and adult participants are church members too. Like it or not, churches are not friendly to gays. Thus, if the BSA openly admitted gays they would likely lose most of the national base that now supports their local meeting places and personnel.

That doesn't make their policy right but it does present them with a major practical problem of how it can move its dependence on churches to other local organizations that would have the necessary facilities and supporting personnel to keep the organization viable on a nationwide basis. Not such an easy obstacle to overcome, even if there was a desire to do it. It would be a massive chaotic effort that the organization might not withstand, at least nowhere near its present level of participation.

Just food for thought.

• Members

...The fact is, BSA is underwritten by the churches of America in that many, probably most meeting facilities are provided in churches. It is also likely that many local organizers and adult participants are church members too. Like it or not, churches are not friendly to gays. Thus, if the BSA openly admitted gays they would likely lose most of the national base that now supports their local meeting places and personnel.

The Mormon Church has at least 1 BSA troop in every congregration. I believe they collectively have one of the largest numbers of scouts and scout leaders.

But, there is an interesting twist on BSA leadership and gays. Scout leaders in Mormon troups are "assigned" by their local Bishop and BSA rubber-stamps these appointments. However, the Mormon Church also accepts gays providing that person is celebate and not in a relationship.

Well, one Bishop in Salt Lake City recently assigned a celebate gay man as a scout leader. The BSA Council has adopted a "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy when it comes to leaders assigned by the Mormon Church. If the scout leader doesn't "announce" his same-sex attraction, the BSA isn't asking (in Utah).

However, there is still a requirement for all scout leaders to pass a background investigation. So, known sex offenders (for example) would not be allowed to serve.

Guest EXPAT

I think that so many of these troops are sponsored by churches, especially the Mormon Church and they just don't want it. It will make them less relevant as time goes on. I'm just glad none of my nephews ever showed any interest in The Boy Scouts.

• Members

A number of Eagle Scouts are returning their awards in protest : http://boingboing.ne...p-to-the-b.html

I read most of the letters and they are very moving.

IMHO, the BSA is in deep trouble. Can't believe it will be around in another 10 years it they don't change their stance.

FYI, I come from a very long line of Boy Scouts. My two nephews (who are Eagles) told me today thatthey are writting their letters and giving back their awards. It is wonderful to see their support.

Intel has clarified that it will no longer be making any donations to Boy Scouts of America until it ends discriminatory policies towards gays. It says that the $700,000 donation it made was in small grants to individual troops as part of a program employees could use to support their own activities, but due to an explosion of groups in the program, it's now screening to make sure they comply with the company's anti-discrimination policies.

• Members

The Boy Scouts aren't so much irrelevent as are the policies of their national so called leadership. They had a chance, years ago, to "ease" into a reasonable transition and resisted doing so. Of course, a lot of so called leaders cannot or do not see the handwriting on the wall even though "others" do.

I try to be tolerant of churches and I wish they would try to be tolerant of me (and some do). ^_^

Best regards,

RA1