Guest lurkerspeaks

healthy update..

Guest lurkerspeaks

I am so happy today. I went into the depths of my clothes closet (had to put the word "clothes" in the sentence to avoid confusion) and found that I am once again fitting into some old jeans that I haven't worn in ages.

Since late March when an unexpected medical scare caused me to get serious about weight loss and eating healthy, I am now down 5-6 inches in my waist. Since I didnt have a personal scale then, and no two scales weigh the same, i am not sure of the exact weight loss, but I believe it to be around 25-30 lbs.

I still have not started doing any more exercise, so it is all food related.. I am not a stickler, but I try to keep it below 2000 calories per day.. No red meat...no fried foods, no sodas, no caffeine... Just finally doing what doctors have told us all along to do.. Weight is down, Cholesterol is down.. no sign of any heart issues, (of which an a-fib was the orginal catalyst for all this).

Still have a long ways to go, but I made the lifestyle change and now it is a way of life..Would it be easy to go back to the old ways of eating whatever I wanted--Hell yea.. but do I think it will happen?? NO.. I know now that I can splurge on a special occasion.. but then it is right back to the routine. Don't let the splurging BECOME the routine again.

Guest tomcal

CONGRATS!!! You were already on your way in Rio, with those long walks on the beach at midnight,..that was part of your excercise program right? But I think I know what the real motivation is.... Starts with a D and ends in a O and has five letters!!

(and there's a picture in your Rio posts showing him! lol)

Guest lurkerspeaks

thanks, tomcal.. yes, the thoughts of Diogo are helpful, but ultimately, making a life change like this has to be for one reason and one reason only--for your self and your own well being. Hopefully the side effects of Diogo are just an added bonus.. and for anyone who didnt see the first pic, here are a couple of Diogo, one of my inspirations.

post-113342-0-64345200-1342466221.jpg

post-113342-0-32546700-1342466252.jpg

• Members

We just got back from Five Guys, where we had cheeseburgers. The BF had the one with everything. We cut calories by sharing an order of fries. Lots of Coke though, plus we took home a bunch of peanuts! Yummy! Now to Costco for new jeans...!

• Members

Lurker, congrats indeed! Sounds like you're doing three things that will keep you fit for the long term:

First, you said goodbye to the old habits. goodbye.gif It will get easier to forget them with each passing month.

Second, you're not going crazy tracking every pound every day. You've made a permanent change and you're willing to relax and let it work, as it will definitely do.

Third, you're focusing on the payoff from your new lifestyle. Not just the health benefits, but the pleasure of slipping into last year's pants.

The other thing you're doing that I think is really smart is thinking about about exercise as the next lifestyle change. That's another one that will pay off gradually throughout the rest of your life.

Couldn't be happier for you! :thumbsup:

And, Lucky, congrats to you as well! I think the worst thing you can do when you indulge is to feel guilty about it. If you end the day with calories plus guilt, you've got the worst of both worlds. Also, heartiest congratulations on having a boyfriend! Nothing healthier, in my opinion, than having a Main Squeeze! :hug:

Guest FourAces

We just got back from Five Guys, where we had cheeseburgers. The BF had the one with everything. We cut calories by sharing an order of fries. Lots of Coke though, plus we took home a bunch of peanuts! Yummy! Now to Costco for new jeans...!

:lol: You cannot say you saved calories by sharing the fries at Five Guys. Each order is about the size of three. Nice try but you know when it comes to junk food you're up against the best or worst here ^_^:(

• Members

I know that I do not tempt Lurkerspeaks by mentioning what I had to eat. He is one strong dude, and can resist those burgers and fries. I confess as my waistline expands that I am a bit jealous of his success. I have my annual heart test in August, so I might be right behind him on the diet front.

(Isn't it awful how Five Guys give you so many tasty fries? And that after all of the peanuts!))