Guest EXPAT

Do you still have a home land line phone?

Guest EXPAT

Do you still have a land line in your home? A recent survey shows that 46% of people under the age of 40 no longer have a land line.

I'm not under 40 but I did away with my landline 2 years ago. I thought I would miss it but I haven't at all. The only time I miss it is when I need to fax something which is very rare anymore.

But I keep getting weekly and sometimes daily calls from my internet provider trying to get me to get a home phone that I can "save $10 a month" if I do. I keep reminding them that I no longer have a land line so adding one would force me to spend MORE money each month and that they need to desperately change their ads that are so dated anymore.

So do you still have an archaic land line in your home?

• Members

I, too, am not in my 40s, but I still have my land line and prefer it to using my cell phone.

I purchased the latter to use only in emergency situations, for I don't particularly like using a cell because of its incessant use by others in many pubic environments in which I have found myself. This dislike began when I would

see travelers at airports using this damn device.

So, I am one of those rare individuals.

• Members

I dumped my land line about 3 years ago, Expat, after I finally had gotten comfortable with my cell. Like you, I simply can't see the point of having both a land line and a cell phone. Plus I rarely get those random sales calls to my cell, something that used to aggravate me with the land line.

Guest lurkerspeaks

I had switched to Vonage for my landline, a number of years ago. That type of landline is the only way to go, in my opinion, if you want to keep a "home phone". It works thru your internet line, and includes long distance for free, basically worldwide. When I first got my Iphone, which was 4 or so years ago, I decided to drop the home phone to cover the additional rates for the smart phone data usage. I have never looked back.

Other than businesses, I see the old style landlines becoming obsolete in the next 20 years or less. VOIP services such as Vonage and video conference services such as Skype are becoming too common to make the old phones of much use anymore, IMHO.

• Members

I have a landline, DONT own a cell phone, Have a VCR, and a cassett deck in my car.. No flat screen TV either, YET...

And my fridge dont have an ice maker. Yeah I live in the Dark Ages. :frantics:

Guest Allessio77

No Land line or Cell! Use only my majicjack plus for all calls. $20/year....that right per YEAR. Only thing is you need a high speed Internet connection to make it flawless. Mine is a 50 mpt connection from the cable company.

Guest CharliePS

I still have an old-fashioned landline, and have no desire to get rid of it. I use my cellphone only for emergencies or when I am travelling, which isn't very often any longer. I can't do without a landline, because my partner can't learn how to use a cellphone (he can't remember how to turn it on and off.)

• Members

I still maintain a land line at one of my homes. It's a phone number that can't (yet) be ported to Google or other internet phone number.

My family has had this phone number since 1967 and it's the only number some relatives have. So, how can I keep that number without a land line?

Guest EXPAT

Got rid of my land line years ago as well. Occasionally think about setting up Google Voice so I'll have some connectivity those times when my cell has WiFi but no friggin AT&T signal...

I have Skype for those moments and I can use it on my iPhone as well. So I'm covered with AT&T goes dark which actually doesn't happen much anymore.

Guest NCBored

I've kept my land line, mostly because cell phone reception is very weak in my present location. I have a simple cell phone which leave in my car for emergencies and carry with me when i travel.

I'd like a smartphone but can't really justify it - it would really be an expensive toy, at the moment.

Guest Fluffypuff

I have a land line (VOIP) for when I absolutely need a good connection. Also, there's enough conflicting info about cell phone safety that I'd rather use a landline when possible. And a cordless phone is just more comfortable to use than my flat iphone. Those old StarTacs may not have been able to fold your laundry, but it felt natural to talk on them.