TotallyOz

How Safe is Montreal?

I have a friend who is sending her daughter to McGill this fall as a college freshman. She has me about the city and I told her my experience. I found the city to be very safe and easy to get around. I think others would agree. However, how safe it is for a young lady? How is the crime rates there compared to USA cities? I would think much better but would love some input.

• Members

violent crime stats are low compared to other cities of that size, but like everywhere else it depends where you go and what you are doing. also, the mass protests that have been going on regarding tuition hikes in the montreal cegeps and universities HAVE to make it more likely for there to be some random violence around schools, and unfortunately it's still not a resolved issue. Apparently the summer has soothed some of the most belligerent acitivity, but it's almost certain to be resurrected when school starts up again in the Fall. I love the McGill area, and the McGill ghetto is one of the greatest places on earth to hang out... but currently it's not as good as it's ever been, and she just needs to be vigilant until everything settles down.