Guest FourAces

Add 3 Names to This List

Guest FourAces

There are so many Gay men and women that have caused the so called straight world to take notice of us. I thought it might be cool if we noted 3 of these people .. just 3 please ... and build a list. They can be activists, musicians, sports stars, actors, policemen ... I'm sure you get the idea. Also just a few words about who they are / were in case some of us do not recognize the name.

Dan Savage - Founder of the It Gets Better project which reaches out to bullied and self questioning youth.

Brian Epstein - The man who brought the Beatles to the world.

Harvey Milk - California Board of Supervisors, who was he first openly Gay man elected to public office in California.

Pedro Zamora - real world cast member who has HIV.

Dustin Lance Black - too many things to speak about. American Foundation Civil Rights. Milk.

Madonna - maybe not gay but she has experimented and always been pro gay rights!

Oscar Wilde - 19th century writer and wit

Larry Kramer - Author and founder (with others) of both GHMC and ACTUP

Harry Hay - Founder of the Mattachine Society, the first gay rights group in the US and the Radical Faeries (where I met him)

• Members

There are certain names that have made the forefront and have become well known. The issue is finding names of people who have caused the straight world to take notice of us. Hmmm, let's see.

John Wayne Gacy

William Bonin

Erik Menendez

are three names that fit the criterion.

Not much positive impact here, but they did make the straight world take notice of gays.

Guest lurkerspeaks

What about Freddy Mercury--original lead singer from Queen..

Rock Hudson-- who (finally) showed the world that the guy you thought you knew could be gay too.

Guest CharliePS

FRANK KAMENY, who devoted his life to fighting for his rights as a gay man when it was still considered an untenable position in this country.

MAGNUS VON HIRSCHFELD, the German sexologist who advocated serious scientific study of homosexuality and enlisted many prominent Germans in his campaign. The Nazis burned his archives and forced him into exile.

HAVELOCK ELLIS, the British sex researcher who was one of the first popular writers about sex to suggest that homosexuality was not a perversion.

ALFRED KINSEY, who made Americans aware of how common homosexual activity was in the lives of American men.

Sorry I have more than three; I could have added several more.

• Members

• BAYARD RUSTIN, mastermind and organizer of the 1960s MARCH on WASHINGTON, one of the largest non-

violent protests held in the United States. He also "help mold Martin Luther King, Jr., into an international

symbol of peace and nonviolence.

• JAMES BALDWIN, prolific writer and social activist [You can read about him and also read his works.]

• LANGSTON HUGHES, essayist, poet,

Guest CharliePS

OK, I'm going to cheat and add five more names to the list:

MATTHEW SHEPARD, who unintentionally became the adorable face for victims of anti-gay violence.

MARK BINGHAM, a leader of the passengers who fought back on flight 93.

ROBERT MAPPLETHORPE, DAVID HOCKNEY, and KEITH HARING, who proved that serious gay-themed art could be commercially viable.

Guest Allessio77

Leonard Bernstein, Composer (West Side Story)

Jonathan Larson, Musical Theater (Rent)

Two gay artistic geniuses.

Guest CharliePS

Some eclectic trios (groupings in lieu of bio-commentary)...

da Vinci

Michelangelo

Warhol

Stein

Toklas

Sontag

Proust

Rechy

Cheever

Cliburn

Liberace

Every classical organist but Bach :smile:

I have some problems with this list, because most straight people are not aware that some figures were gay (DaVinci, Michelangelo, Cliburn) or bisexual (Sontag, Cheever), and Liberace vehemently denied that he was gay (and a lot of his fans believed him!!). Also, I can think of at least one classical organist who was not gay (E. Power Biggs, the stepfather of an acquaintance of mine).

Guest CharliePS

Leonard Bernstein, Composer (West Side Story)

Jonathan Larson, Musical Theater (Rent)

Two gay artistic geniuses.

Let's add Benjamin Britten and Aaron Copland.

I have some problems with this list, because most straight people are not aware that some figures were gay (DaVinci, Michelangelo, Cliburn) or bisexual (Sontag, Cheever), and Liberace vehemently denied that he was gay (and a lot of his fans believed him!!).

Good point. So they are raw material -- we have our educational work cut out for us!

Also, I can think of at least one classical organist who was not gay (E. Power Biggs, the stepfather of an acquaintance of mine).

Right again. Bless Biggs's heart, I should have said, "Every really good classical organist but Bach." :P

(Those not in on this the first time around :smile: can follow our wrangle post hoc at http://www.message-f...091-Organ-meats )

• Members

• BAYARD RUSTIN, mastermind and organizer of the 1960s MARCH on WASHINGTON, one of the largest non-

violent protests held in the United States. He also "help mold Martin Luther King, Jr., into an international

symbol of peace and nonviolence.

• JAMES BALDWIN, prolific writer and social activist [You can read about him and also read his works.]

• LANGSTON HUGHES, essayist, poet,

• AUDREY LORDE [Do a google check!] [sorry!]

• ANGELA DAVIS " " " " " " "

• ALICE WALKER " " " " " " "

• MR. HOMEL Entrepreneur who is identified with Spam [that meat] and philanthropic causes/events

Guest CharliePS

• AUDREY LORDE [Do a google check!] [sorry!]

• ANGELA DAVIS " " " " " " "

• ALICE WALKER " " " " " " "

• MR. HOMEL Entrepreneur who is identified with Spam [that meat] and philanthropic causes/events

It's AUDRE Lorde (pretentious lesbian spelling) and James HORMEL.

And as long as we are including lesbians, let's not forget BILLIE JEAN KING.

Guest FourAces

David Geffen - Billionaire Music mogul founder of several artists (i.e. Linda Ronstadt) and several record labels including Geffen Records.