Guest lurkerspeaks

Ever feel all alone???

Guest EXPAT

Having lived all over the world by myself and living alone by myself now, sometimes that feeling can come over you. But I'm now used to it and I have enough people I can reach out too when I need to talk that I never really feel alone. But the feeling of being alone can be very overwhelming.

As I found out today. . . I found out that my nephew who is in his early 30's committed suicide today. I'm just beside myself. He lost his wife to cancer just over a year ago and he clearly was unable to get over the loss and decided to take his own life today. They say that the one year anniversary of a death of a loved one/spouse can be very overwhelming. I'm still in shock as I just found out a couple of hours ago. This just tells me that when people close to us are feeling alone or depressed we don't always know to the extent that feeling is. He lived across the country from me but I had talked to him just before he started a new job in a new city in hopes that he would be able to re-focus his grief on a new job but it must not have worked. I'm most likely traveling to be with my sister in her grief because she is going to need it.

I just hope that we all pay more attention to those around us who need a little extra attention in their own personal difficult times.

• Members

...I just hope that we all pay more attention to those around us who need a little extra attention in their own personal difficult times.

Expat, I'm so very sorry to hear about your nephew. My nieces and nephews are much more like my own children. And, anything that affects them really hits me hard. I can only imagine how difficult this is for you.

A lot of times I'm sure other people are unaware of the difficult times in my personal life. It really would be nice to have friends or family that were sensitive to those needs. Believe me, a phone call or e-mail could make a real difference during those times.

Unfortunately, a lot of people don't seem to notice or care. :(

So sorry to hear this, and my heart goes out to you and your nephew.

I'm married to my best friend, my soul mate, and my reason for living. If she died, I don't know that I would be capable of going on.

I feel very blessed to have her, but also have to admit that the thought of losing her is very, very frightening.

Guest NCBored

My sincere sympathies! Many people often hide or minimize their despair or depression during difficult times and it may take extra vigilance to recognize that. And when families are apart geographically, it makes it harder still. :(

Guest CharliePS

Having lived all over the world by myself and living alone by myself now, sometimes that feeling can come over you. But I'm now used to it and I have enough people I can reach out too when I need to talk that I never really feel alone. But the feeling of being alone can be very overwhelming.

As I found out today. . . I found out that my nephew who is in his early 30's committed suicide today. I'm just beside myself. He lost his wife to cancer just over a year ago and he clearly was unable to get over the loss and decided to take his own life today. They say that the one year anniversary of a death of a loved one/spouse can be very overwhelming. I'm still in shock as I just found out a couple of hours ago. This just tells me that when people close to us are feeling alone or depressed we don't always know to the extent that feeling is. He lived across the country from me but I had talked to him just before he started a new job in a new city in hopes that he would be able to re-focus his grief on a new job but it must not have worked. I'm most likely traveling to be with my sister in her grief because she is going to need it.

I just hope that we all pay more attention to those around us who need a little extra attention in their own personal difficult times.

EXPAT, I sympathize with you. When a friend or loved one does something like this, it is natural to feel guilty and say, "If only I had done something, if only I had been there for him." But the truth is that we are almost never responsible for the terrible choices that other adults make about their lives. You cannot know what, if anything, you could have done to affect the outcome. By all means, grieve for your nephew, and comfort your sister, but try not to blame yourselves for the situation.

Guest hitoallusa

I send you and your sister sincere condolences..