Guest EXPAT

2012 Scripps National Spelling Bee

Guest EXPAT

Anyone else watching the Scripps National Spelling Bee on ESPN? They are down to 2 now. This always cracks me up. I love how they narrate the show like you are watching a PGA golf tournament.

These kids are totally amazing. I won my 6th grade spelling bee on the word "paragraph". But I lost state during the next to last round on the word "guarantee". I said "g a" before I realized it; then I said "oh shit" into the microphone. I did get a big laugh. My Mother was not happy. . .

Guest EXPAT

"Guetapens" is the winning word !!! The winner is Snigdha Nandipati. She is 14 from San Diego, California.

And we have a winner. This is always so amazing to watch. These kids are fantastic.

Guest hitoallusa

Aww your mom is so cute ^_^ I want a son like you...^_^

Anyone else watching the Scripps National Spelling Bee on ESPN? They are down to 2 now. This always cracks me up. I love how they narrate the show like you are watching a PGA golf tournament.

These kids are totally amazing. I won my 6th grade spelling bee on the word "paragraph". But I lost state during the next to last round on the word "guarantee". I said "g a" before I realized it; then I said "oh shit" into the microphone. I did get a big laugh. My Mother was not happy. . .

• Members

When I google 'guetapens' all I find is a French word meaning ambush or (figuratively) trap.

Can you give me a clue, Expat? LOL, are you sure you have it spelled right? :P

Guest EXPAT

When I google 'guetapens' all I find is a French word meaning ambush or (figuratively) trap.

Can you give me a clue, Expat? LOL, are you sure you have it spelled right? :P

Definition of guetapens (french origination): ambush, snare, trap <a trick to lure him into some guetapens.>

• Members

So they are using purely foreign words in the National Spelling Bee now? :shocked: What's the world coming to?

And don't try to convince me it's a legitimate loan word. I absolutely refuse to believe a single native speaker of the English language has ever mouthed the words, "The Indians caught the calvary in a guetapens."

Oh the Horror...the Shame... :baby:

• Members

"Second place went to Stuti Mishra, a 14-year-old eighth grader from Orlando, Florida, who finished in second place after misspelling "schwarmerei," a German word for excessive enthusiasm."

When did this travesty start? And why?

The only logical explanation I can think of to insert god-awful furriner words would be to shorten the contest before the audience got too bored. Outrageous!!!

Oooooo, now I am really pissed.

Guest EXPAT

Every word I heard in the final rounds I had never heard of before and most of them had foreign origins. But I found every one of them in the Miriam Webster Dictionary. So there must be a plethora of foreign words adopted in the American English language but I doubt that they have been used except in this spelling bee.

And don't try to convince me it's a legitimate loan word.

Not even a credit swap derivative word.

What in thunderation? Could this trend be some sneaking exercise in politically correct guilt assuagement? Just what cabal cooks up this list?

I must inquire of my agent about the market potential for a spelling-bee variant of da Vinci Code. Something sinister is afoot, and on a large scale, as Lovecraft observed.

In sum: Who has absquatulated with our spelling bee?

Guest CharliePS

So they are using purely foreign words in the National Spelling Bee now? :shocked: What's the world coming to?

And don't try to convince me it's a legitimate loan word. I absolutely refuse to believe a single native speaker of the English language has ever mouthed the words, "The Indians caught the calvary in a guetapens."

Oh the Horror...the Shame... :baby:

I assume you meant "cavalry" (ha ha! you lose the spelling bee!). I agree totally that this is a mockery of what an AMERICAN spelling bee should be about. I remember once being mortified as a child when I lost a spelling bee for misspelling "chauffeur," not yet having been introduced to the French diphthongs.

Guest gcursor

When I was young and in Junior High school, we would hold informal spelling bees on Fridays in English class. I would win EVERY time. It didn't really matter because all I really impressed was the teacher. One day after winning my 3rd spelling bee THAT DAY, I said aloud, "Okay..I'm bored." All the other kids laughed and teased me saying maybe if I wouldn't be so damned smart then I'd have more fun. Anyway spelling has always been one of my gifts.

Some of the things that I've always laughed about (since I spell so good) is the dictionary. I love watching a person look up a word that they can't pronounce...let alone spell. I've always wondered what was the main purpose to a dictionary. Was it to make people who couldn't spell so frustrated that they eventually kill themselves? Shouldnt there be a dictionary that would have multiple mis-spellings and would all route you back to the way the word should be spelled?

Another thing that I always wondered about is some of the stupid spelling rules that they tell people to "make them feel good about themselves". I before E except after...Yeah..that works about 2% of the time. My dad is always coming to me asking me for the right way to spell words. But I still make mistakes now and then...although lately I've been using this SPELLING CHALLENGE game on my Nintendo DS which is a VERY fine game although a little expensive. I have managed to claw my way up pretty quickly to level 84 out of a 100. Now I get words that I have NO CLUE what they mean. Although you can still tell certain things about the words even at that level...if they are asking if the word is a noun and it ends in ly or tic or...then it's probably an adjective. If they are looking for a verb and they give you this long word with ing on the end then it's likely a verb. It's just little clues that you pick up on is all.

SO if anybody ever wants me to spell-check something for them then please let me know ^_^ I've gotten used to it by now.

gcursor