Guest EXPAT

CA takes first steps to outlaw reparative therapy

Guest EXPAT

The California senate has passed the bill outlawing reparative therapy for underage people. If it makes it through the house and the governor signs it, California will become the first state to outlaw sexual orientation change therapy for minors.

• Members

The California senate has passed the bill outlawing reparative therapy for underage people. If it makes it through the house and the governor signs it, California will become the first state to outlaw sexual orientation change therapy for minors.

I have no problem with this. I believe it is a good idea. This is a big step for anyone. I believe it is best if one grows to maturity with the addtional life experience, and possible clarity of personal issues that brings, hopefully, before one embarks on such a journey of change. Once done it can never be completely undone.

I have know of two instances where young men thought they wanted a sex identity change only to come to realize that, ultimately, they did not. By the time they figured it out one had undergone surgical breast augmentation, the other hormonal breast augmentation.

• Members

Yeah, this is about the Bachman's pray away the gay type BS being forcibly inflicted on minors, not transsexual therapies.

Still, I wouldn't have assumed CA is a hotbed for such places--anything in the bill to prevent parents from shipping kids off to ex-gay concentration camps out of state?

• Members

This bill is referring only to sexual orientation reparative therapy via religious and other organizations.

http://sdgln.com/new...-ex-gay-therapy

Thanks for the clarification. I'm also definitely favor that as well for the same reason. An adult is best suited to determine his own choice regarding lifestyle, based on life experience and mature self-reflection.

Having one's parents hire a shrink to beat 'the gay' out of a kid is barbaric, totalitarian, against broadly accepted psychology and psychiatric standards of those communities. The government should not turn a blind eye to the practice.