Suckrates

Etan Patz, 33 years later

• Members

OK, so the most notorious missing child case in history has apparently been solved.

A now 51 yo Pedro Hernandez confessed to killing Etan when he was working as a stock boy at age 18, down the street from where Etan lived.

Its curious this revelation comes to light after the recent uproar about another suspect, prompting them to dig up a basement looking for clues, but finding nothing and releasing the suspect.

Details of the case have not been released, but do we believe Pedro is the killer or just someone craving media attention ? He is now on suicide watch, and family members admit he hadconfessed to them over the years that "he did something terrible"....(but they waited all these years).

I am on the fench, hoping its true so Etans family can have closure and live the rest of their lives in Peace, but I'm not so sure.

Thoughts?

Guest EXPAT

Hopefully he can tell them where the body is so that real closure can come for that family. That will probably be the only way we will know for sure.

• Members

I've been a bit surprised over the hubbub over this, I can't recall ever hearing of the case... I was young at the time, but I mean since, did it have some name or special notoriety, any films based on it?

Guest lurkerspeaks

If I am not mistaken, Etan was the first missing child ever to be featured on a milk carton. His abduction was the beginning of all of the current "missing and exploited" children campaigns.

• Members

I believe that you are correct, Lurker. He was the first "poster" child featured on milk cartons. I have not seen and I cannot think of any "reason" why this child was murdered by the suspect or anyone else (without evidence of why). Indeed I hope the mystery is resolved and the family can have some (very late) peace. But, I am not holding my breath. :(

Over the years, there have been many confessions of various crimes and this might not be an exception but I am hoping if this guy did do it that the authorities will go the extra mile to verify whatever happened.

Best regards,

RA1