Guest gcursor

Movies to Watch Out For

Guest gcursor

So I was looking at some of the upcoming movies and here are some of the ones that I'm on the look out for..what about you?

MEN IN BLACK 3

BATMAN (of course! still waiting in line for my tickets!)

SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED

HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA

MAGIC MIKE (no..it's not innovative and it's not BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN but it's still hot!)

NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH (sounds interesting for a premise but the trailer that I saw makes no mention of the "aliens" part so I'm not sure how good it can be)

Guest Hoover42

My number one upcoming movie is:

Prometheus - Ridley Scott is back with another movie from the "Alien" universe.

Trailer: http://www.prometheus-movie.com/

Then there's:

Safety Not Guaranteed - A strange classified ad about time travel inspires three Seattle magazine employees to investigate. By the makers of Little Miss Sunshine.

Trailer: http://safetynotguaranteedmovie.com/

and then, to feed my crushes:

Snow White and the Huntsman - An evil queen sets out to destroy the only person in the land fairer than her. Starring Charlize Theron and, sigh, Chris Hemsworth.

Trailer: http://www.snowwhiteandthehuntsman.com/

Savages - An ex-Navy Seal (played by Taylor Kitsch) and a friend and their female love interest are running a peaceful MJ dispensary in Laguna Beach when they suddenly find themselves under attack by members of a Mexican drug cartel.

Trailer: http://www.savagesfilm.com/

• Members

Just saw Dark Shadows and liked it. It did not get many good reviews although Mick LaSalle at the SF Cronicle liked it and he's one of the better movie reviewers out there. Got to love the old manor house with its secret panels and passageways. Very campy.

Guest EXPAT

This movie looks really good. I love period pieces in any event and this looks great.

The Great Gatsby coming soon. . .

Guest EXPAT

I saw "Chernobyl Diaries" yesterday. I'd give it a 20 out of 100 on the Rotten Tomatoes scale. I was very disappointed. It was 75% Blair Witch and 25% a radioactive version of The Walking Dead. Not great.

Guest Hoover42

Just saw Snow White and The Huntsman.

Charlize Theron was great as the evil, but tragic, Ravenna. Chris Hemsworth was OK as The Huntsman but his character was quite bland and his awesome body was only exposed for about 20 seconds of the film. Kristen Stewart was too plain to be a convincing snow white. Some of the special effects were good, particularly anything involving birds. Verdict: 2 of 5 stars.

• Members

Savages - An ex-Navy Seal (played by Taylor Kitsch) and a friend and their female love interest are running a peaceful MJ dispensary in Laguna Beach when they suddenly find themselves under attack by members of a Mexican drug cartel.

Trailer: http://www.savagesfilm.com/

Savages is based upon a novel by Don Winslow, a crackerjack author who writes about the drug trade like no one else. See his novel The Power of the Dog for one of the best. I am going to read the book again before I see the movie, and hope that Oliver Stone hasn't ruined it. Winslow wrote a prequel to Savages in time for the movie. It's called The Kings of Cool.

Guest EXPAT

I saw Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Slayer. It was OK. I loved how they twisted history very convincingly. But having Abraham LIncoln be a ninja hatchet warrior was a bit odd. . .

Guest Hoover42

Going to see The Amazing Spiderman tomorrow.

Despite my fondness at the time for Tobey Maguire (I've since disavowed him after discovering that he's a total asshole), I never really liked the last round of Spiderman movies; Tobey-Spiderman was such a fucking whiner. ^_^

I'm hoping this reboot proves to be more satisfying.

Guest gcursor

Tonight I went to see TED and over the weekend I saw MEN IN BLACK 3 and THE AVENGERS. Out of all of them, I laughed the hardest during TED. I absolutely loved this movie! Of course a lot of the humor is very sexual-based and sophomoric in nature but the whole scenario and the kitschy movie references is a joy to pick out. I knew that I was going to like TED when I saw the preview and I can absolutely say that this is one of the funniest movies I've seen in quite some time!!!

MEN IN BLACK 3 was average. I didn't expect the part with Tommy Lee Jones to be so dull but once it hit the part with Josh Brolin then the movie really picked up steam and was a joy to watch. Also it was very sad that they took Rip Torn out of the movie because of some of his "tirades". The MIB office didn't seem the same without the old Zed looking over everything :( and the new woman that was in charge of MIB was very much lacking in any type of personality whatsoever (other than for a brief line)

THE AVENGERS was the smash-em-up movie that everybody said it would be. I want to know why NEW YORK keeps getting smashed into bits in every movie! After the pounding that New York took in that movie, I think the entire city would have to sell off the city as scrap and move somewhere else. I remember an article that estimated how much damage the Avengers did in dollars and that was a pretty hefty price tag. The characters were all there and predictable. Although they did get in a few "tough spots", they always seemed to get out of them by doing things that seemed less than heroic at times. I did have some questions about the role of the Hulk near the end of the movie but I won't go into that for fear of spoiling the plot. The one thing I could never figure out is whether it was an action superhero flick or a comedy picture. The characters were zinging one-liners so fast in some scenes that I wondered if they were trying to audition for the next open mic at the local comedy club. Also the ending for the film seemed a bit too pat and I was left rolling my eyes thinking, "World's greatest superheroes? Seriously?"

Also I havent seen PROMETHEUS but I would probably never want to see it. Basically it's an extension of the ALIENS mythology. As such, I feel that it has to attain a new level of beauty if we're going to be treated to re-treaded scenes of old ALIEN films. I'm sure it's a really beautiful film in terms of visual content but at the heart is a story that has been hammered to death in prior films. Oh sure, they add one or two little new nuggets and people exclaim, "MY GOD! It's amazing!" Of course, what am I thinking? Look at all those people that lined up for the SPIDERMAN re-boot! or the INCREDIBLE HULK re-boot! or the SUPERMAN re-boot! or the NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET re-boot! or... it's the same stories..just different people in them! It's always funny for me to go to the movies and hear people say, "This is such a different movie!" to which I think, "Do you forget things that easily? Spiderman wasn't out THAT many years ago! I mean it wasn't released in the 1950s!" But people don't care

gcursor

• Members

I was also fairly amused by Ted. Better than I expected; recommended.

Also just saw The Amazing Spider Man. Emma Stone is great in it, the boy did a pretty good job too, overal liked him better than Tobey, though Tobey's first installment may have been the better movie.

This movie goes very quickly from the pathos of the uncle's death to wisecracking, funny Peter. It is also very clumsy in setting up obvious plot points. But certainly an enjoyable summer superhero popcorn flick, just not as good as The Avengers.