Lucky

Donna Summer Has Died

• Members

I thought I would get the scoop on this story here, but nothing! EXPAT, hop to!

TMZ is reporting that gay icon Donna Summer has died, and we want details! Is it true, for one?

Apparently, the 63 year old singer succumbed to cancer...

Guest EXPAT

Donna Summer's career spanned nearly 40 years, but she's best remembered for her disco and post-disco era hits. A sampling of her most popular work:

Love to Love You Baby (1975). The 17-minute title track to her U.S. debut was so hot it almost melted the wax.

Could It Be Magic (1976). She gave the 1975 Barry Manilow pop song a sensual makeover on A Love Trilogy.

I Feel Love (1977). A futuristic dance gem from I Remember Yesterday, a concept album exploring musical styles of several decades.

Last Dance (1978). It's hard not to visualize the spinning disco ball as this smash from the Thank God It's Friday soundtrack plays.

MacArthur Park Suite (1978). This sprawling, 18-minute tour de force took up one of the four sides of Live and More.

Heaven Knows (1979). Summer collaborated on this single from Live and More with Brooklyn Dreams. She married keyboardist Bruce Sudano in 1980.

Hot Stuff (1979). Tired of sitting home alone, Summer takes to the club to find a warm-blooded lover to share the night with.

Bad Girls (1979). The title track to the double-platinum album oozed the brazen sexuality of a streetwalker. "Toot toot, hey, beep beep …"

No More Tears (Enough Is Enough) (1979). Songwriter Paul Jabara, who had written hits for both Summer and Barbra Streisand, brought the pair together for this No. 1 pop hit. An unknown Luther Vandross sang background.

On the Radio (1980). The title track to her greatest hits compilation also appeared on the soundtrack to the film Foxes, starring Jodie Foster, Scott Baio and Sally Kellerman.

Love Is In Control (Finger On the Trigger) (1982). Quincy Jones and Rod Temperton penned this top 10 pop hit from her self-titled album.

She Works Hard for the Money (1983). Summer scored her biggest hit since Bad Girls with this defiant feminist anthem.

• Members

Forever grateful to have lived with Donna Summer music in my youth. Masterful selection by Expat (thanks), only missing: Spring Affair-from her second album "4 Seasons of Love" (1976). This is I believe the best song of the first part of her career, produced by genious Giorgio Moroder. The track was not a big hit in the U.S., but was huge elsewhere (there's is a video on YouTube).

Another omission is "Dinner with Gershwin". Unfortunately this track fom 1988 was not a hit anywhere, although some top British DJ'S refer to it as a masterpiece. The melody is gorgeous, the lyrics very smart and the chorus to die for. You don't know the best of Donna Summer if you don't know this song, also available on You Tube-don't miss it.

Yes, Disco is culture and now with Ms Summer's passing, has a memory.

Guest EXPAT

Yes I agree with "Spring Affair" and "Dinner with Gershwin". I was listening to both of them today. They were both undervalued in the US for sure. It's hard for me to pick my favorite song in her career but I would probably have to pick "No More Tears (Enough is Enough)" and probably the "MacArthur Park Suite" - the 26 minute full version. But I also loved "Hot Stuff/Bad Girls" suite as well. There are just too many to choose from.

According to many sources, Donna had lung cancer, not breast cancer and she thought she got it from the air particulates after 9/11 in NY. She hid this ailment from everyone apparently since it was not widely known that she was sick. I also heard that she was nearly finished with a new album and I'm sure that her family will want to share that music with her fans when the time is right.

Guest Hoover42

Oh, poor Donna. :(

My favorite Donna Summer album is another Gorgio Morodor produced album titled "Once Upon a Time"

Some of my favorite songs on that album are:

Once Upon a Time

Faster and Faster to Nowhere

Fairy Tale High

Say Something Nice

Now I Need You

Working the Midnight Shift

I also her song "With Your Love" from the soundtrack album "Thank God it's Friday."

I fondly remember spending late nights in one disco or another dancing to those songs surrounded by lots of hot guys. It was the last time I recall anyone actually grabbing my ass :smile:

Guest EXPAT

In the wake of the news that disco legend Donna Summer died this morning, a slew of celebrities have headed to Twitter to pen pithy tributes to the platinum recording artist. Read what celebs are tweeting below:

Ellen DeGeneres: I’m so sad about the news that Donna Summer died this morning. I was a big fan. I even used one of her songs in my show that airs today.

Ryan Seacrest: I remember sitting in the front seat of my mom’s toyota while she sang Donna Summer’s “she works hard for the money” songs were just classic

Solange Knowles: Donna Summer- You have inspired me in so many ways…..

Billy Ray Cyrus: R I P #Donna Summer LEGEND !!! Your music will live forever.

Gloria Estefan: Few singers have impacted music & the world like Donna Summer! It’s the end of an era. Peace & prayers 2 all who loved her. I will miss her!

Neil Patrick Harris: Donna Summer passed away today. Same day as Jim Henson, 22 years ago. In honor of both:

Kylie Minogue: One of my earliest musical inspirations, RIP Donna Summer #BadGirlsForEver

Dot Marie Jones: R.I.P. DONNA SUMMER, YOU WORKED HARD FOR YOUR MONEY, NOW ENJOY THAT LAST DANCE GIRL!!! WILL ALWAYS LOVE, LOVE, LOVE HER MUSIC

Kate Walsh: I remember buying Donna Summer’s “i remember yesterday” when i was 10, being obsessed w/”i feel love”

Adam Shankman: Sleep sweetly eternally my Amazing Donna Summer! Tonight, after my prayers, I will dance the last dance and think of you. Xoox

David Boreanaz: R.I.P. Donna Summer. A mezzo-soprano range of a soul and artist.

Mario Lopez: R.I.P Donna Summer…I remember roller skating to hits like “Last Dance” “Hot Stuff” & “Bad Girls.” Synonymous with the 70′s.. #QueenOfDisco

Nigel Lythgoe: One of my favorite singers of all time, Donna Summer, is dead. She defined dance music in the 70′s and had a wonderful voice and personality

Katharine McPhee: RIP Donna Summer…hope you’re dancing up there.

Bethenny Frankel: So sad about Donna Summer passing away. Her music was such a big part of my life & memories. I wasn’t ready for her “last dance.”

Quincy Jones: Rest in Peace dear Donna Summer. Your voice was the heartbeat and soundtrack of a decade.

Adam Lambert: RIP Donna Summer. glorious disco Goddess.

Guest FourAces

I think its sad she passed away ... BUT. Did she not have some negative words about gays a few years back? Am I wrong? If so please forgive me but I tend to remember some not so nice things she said about us.

Guest EXPAT

She claims that she was misquoted and she apologized anyway. I take her at her word but I know gays all hold grudges longer than anyone.

Guest Hoover42

I think its sad she passed away ... BUT. Did she not have some negative words about gays a few years back? Am I wrong? If so please forgive me but I tend to remember some not so nice things she said about us.

Oh yes, she did. After becoming a born again Christian in the early 80's she totally turned on her gay fans while trying to suck up to her new Christian friends. So sad.

Guest FourAces

She claims that she was misquoted and she apologized anyway. I take her at her word but I know gays all hold grudges longer than anyone.

Just so u know I am not holding a grudge .. I didn't even like her music But I do think its good that as an often attacked minority gays be realistic about who there friends have been and currently are and will be.

Guest EXPAT

Here is a rare Donna Summer single that I was not aware of until this morning. It was released in June of 2008 on iTunes, but prior to that it was on the international only release of the album "Crayons" and available at some Circuit City stores in the US only as a bonus track. Then Donna released it on iTunes as a single. It made it to #14 on the Billboard Dance Club Play Chart in 2008. LOVE IT !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0JDh1tl8GY

Guest EXPAT

I had to share this video/song that I found today. Donna wrote a number of Broadway musicals and during her VH-1 special she showcased one of the songs from one of them. This is simply a stunning performance. Where are the big voices like this now? They are all hiding behind the magic of computers. . .

• Members

Ms Summer has been cleared of all wrongdoing by Sir Elton John, no less. He said she was one the most active people on his charity Cure for AIDS both as a fund raiser and a donor, and he deeply feel her loss also as a friend, and Sir Elton is a gay citizen above any suspicion. He knows!