Guest EXPAT

Networks announce a lot of cancellations and renewals on Friday

Guest EXPAT

The CW is doing a pretty heavy overhaul of its schedule for 2012-13, with only one show --"The Vampire Diaries" -- starting the season in the same timeslot it aired this year.

Among the moves are "Supernatural" leaving its Friday home of the past few seasons and going to 9 p.m. Wednesdays, while "America's Next Top Model," which faded badly in the ratings this season, switches to Fridays, leading into "Nikita." (See the full schedule.)

Also, the network says it will wait until early October to launch its schedule, which will get its shows away from the Big Four nets' crush of September premieres and also cut down on the number of in-season reruns for its shows.

Three new shows -- "Emily Owens, M.D.," "Arrow" and "Beauty and the Beast" -- are on the schedule for fall, and two others, "Cult" and "The Carrie Diaries," will join at midseason. "Carrie" will take over for "Gossip Girl," whose final season is set for Mondays in the fall.

"Beauty and the Beast" gets the prime spot after "The Vampire Diaries" on Thursdays. The show, based on the Linda Hamilton-Ron Perlman CBS show from the late '80s, stars Kristin Kreuk ("Smallville") as a New York homicide detective who years earlier was saved from certain death by Vincent (Jay Ryan, "Terra Nova"), a doctor who becomes "a terrifying beast" when he's angry.

Other schedule moves include "90210" going from Tuesdays to Mondays to lead into "Gossip Girl" and "Hart of Dixie" joining "Emily Owens" for a Tuesday night of light medical dramas.

THE CW’s 2012-2013 PRIMETIME SCHEDULE

MONDAY

8:00-9:00 PM 90210 (New Night)

9:00-10:00 PM Gossip Girl (New Time & only 11 new episodes to series finale)

(THE CARRIE DIARIES premieres January, 2013)

TUESDAY

8:00-9:00 PM Hart Of Dixie (New Night)

9:00-10:00 PM EMILY OWENS, M.D. (New Series)

WEDNESDAY

8:00-9:00 PM ARROW (New Series)

9:00-10:00 PM SUPERNATURAL (New Night)

THURSDAY

8:00-9:00 PM THE Vampire Diaries

9:00-10:00 PM BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (New Series)

FRIDAY

8:00-9:00 PM AMERICA’S Next Top Model (New Night)

9:00-10:00 PM Nikita (New Time)

• Members

The CW is doing a pretty heavy overhaul of its schedule for 2012-13, with only one show --"The Vampire Diaries" -- starting the season in the same timeslot it aired this year.

Among the moves are "Supernatural" leaving its Friday home of the past few seasons and going to 9 p.m. Wednesdays, while "America's Next Top Model," which faded badly in the ratings this season, switches to Fridays, leading into "Nikita." (See the full schedule.)

Also, the network says it will wait until early October to launch its schedule, which will get its shows away from the Big Four nets' crush of September premieres and also cut down on the number of in-season reruns for its shows.

Three new shows -- "Emily Owens, M.D.," "Arrow" and "Beauty and the Beast" -- are on the schedule for fall, and two others, "Cult" and "The Carrie Diaries," will join at midseason. "Carrie" will take over for "Gossip Girl," whose final season is set for Mondays in the fall.

"Beauty and the Beast" gets the prime spot after "The Vampire Diaries" on Thursdays. The show, based on the Linda Hamilton-Ron Perlman CBS show from the late '80s, stars Kristin Kreuk ("Smallville") as a New York homicide detective who years earlier was saved from certain death by Vincent (Jay Ryan, "Terra Nova"), a doctor who becomes "a terrifying beast" when he's angry.

Other schedule moves include "90210" going from Tuesdays to Mondays to lead into "Gossip Girl" and "Hart of Dixie" joining "Emily Owens" for a Tuesday night of light medical dramas.

THE CW’s 2012-2013 PRIMETIME SCHEDULE

MONDAY

8:00-9:00 PM 90210 (New Night)

9:00-10:00 PM Gossip Girl (New Time & only 11 new episodes to series finale)

(THE CARRIE DIARIES premieres January, 2013)

TUESDAY

8:00-9:00 PM Hart Of Dixie (New Night)

9:00-10:00 PM EMILY OWENS, M.D. (New Series)

WEDNESDAY

8:00-9:00 PM ARROW (New Series)

9:00-10:00 PM SUPERNATURAL (New Night)

THURSDAY

8:00-9:00 PM THE Vampire Diaries

9:00-10:00 PM BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (New Series)

FRIDAY

8:00-9:00 PM AMERICA’S Next Top Model (New Night)

9:00-10:00 PM Nikita (New Time)

I cannot breathe CW air. It gives me 'helium head' :pinch: which is not my kind of head. :P

Gawd!!! Newton Minnow did not know how right he was. <_<

Guest EXPAT

I'm a huge fan of The Vampire Diaries. I never miss that show. I also hate to admit it but Gossip Girl and Ringer were my guilty pleasures. But alas, Ringer won't see a season 2.

Guest EXPAT

Here is the final schedule across all networks for 2012 - 2013.

(Of course final is relative. I'm sure there will be changes by Fall time.)

post-105999-0-00860800-1337446432.jpg

Guest EXPAT

Broadcast’s dog-and-pony shows in New York City are finally over, but the walk-up to the fall 2012-2013 lineup has only just begun. Before EW start wringing our hands over Britney Spears’ emotional readiness to be a reality show judge on X Factor, Entertainment Weekly have some knee-jerk reactions to what they saw and heard this week:

Biggest trend: Comedy explosion. There’s 29 sitcoms hitting the air this fall — and we’re not including Rock Center With Brian Williams. That’s an enormous number of couches, awkward dates and workplace misunderstandings. Tuesdays will be a three-network comedy traffic jam, while ABC and NBC will offload extra chuckles into Fridays.

Highest concept: Lost godfather J.J. Abrams’ latest sci-fi series, NBC’s Revolution, has a spectacular trailer (thanks to pilot director Jon Favreau) and sky-high concept (set 15 years after every electronic gadget has ceased working). Will “It’s going to turn off!” be the new “We have to go back!”?

Most deserved recent cancellation: GCB (ABC: 7.4 million, 2.6). Desperate Housewiveshadn’t even wrapped, and along comes Desperate Rehash, an unfunny attempt at replicating its success.

Least deserved cancellation: Terra Nova. From what we gathered, it came down to saving this show or Touch — and Fox oddly chose the latter. Too bad; for all it’s faults, Terra Nova built a good family following and had plenty of room for creative growth.

Least deserved cancellation runner-up: Rob. Readers will say we’re going to hell for this, but at 12 million viewers for a critically despised comedy, the show demonstrated that, like it or not, Rob Schneider can draw an audience. Why not retool it — like, maybe, de-hotting his wife a bit so the relationship seems more believable – rather than scrap it entirely?

Most ho-hum show pickup: NBC’s Guys With Kids. We get it, it’s soooo hard being a modern man (for further proof, look at this season’s Man Up!, How to Be a Gentleman and Work It).

Best new show title: CBS’ Sherlock Holmes drama Elementary. It’s not fancy, just strong, simple and evokes the voice of its famed detective. CBS knows how to make a TV show that’ll stick and this, starring the dashing Jonny Lee Miller as modern-day Sherlock, looks promising.

Worst new show title: CBS again! Also, for the second year in a row (remember, The 2-2?). The detective drama Golden Boy just makes the protagonist sound like a suck-up, or well tanned.

Most potentially politically loaded new show title: NBC’s The New Normal. We suspect Ryan Murphy didn’t consult The Tea Party when naming his comedy about a gay couple who hires a surrogate.

Shows the media were most surprised didn’t make it on the air: Roseanne Barr’s multi-camera comedy Downwardly Mobile and Sarah Silverman’s much-buzzed sitcom, both at NBC; Martin Lawrence comedy at CBS; the John Stamos comedy Little Brother at Fox; the Judy Greer comedy at ABC. (For more about the fall pilots that didn’t earn a pickup, click here).

Show we’re secretly relieved didn’t make it on the air: NBC’s County starring Jason Ritter. Now maybe his character, Mark, can work it out with Sarah on Parenthood?

Best Good/Bad News: NBC renews Community — for only 13 episodes, moves it to Fridays this fall and pairs it with Whitney. NBC entertainment chairman Robert Greenblatt: “Most people in our industry think Friday is a graveyard, but we don’t really believe that.” All those tombstones must be there for decoration then!

The Kyle Killen Award — a show critics will like, but might have trouble finding a large audience: Last Resort. A morally complex, male-skewing apocalyptic bonanza about a submarine crew wedged in a haunted time slot (Thursdays at 8 p.m.) on a female-skewing network (ABC). Still, this looks way more user friendly than Killen’s Lone Star and Awake.

Guest FourAces

If you had been watching Missing be sure to catch the season finale which you can watch at abc.com or hulu. It brings everything together nicely .. so the cancellation doesn't leave things up in the air. Well except for a new twist that doesn't mean much.

Guest EXPAT

Except if they had a season two Ashley Judd would be the one MISSING now. Too bad it was cancelled. It was such a great show.

• Members

Except if they had a season two Ashley Judd would be the one MISSING now. Too bad it was cancelled. It was such a great show.

... by TV standards anyway. The Firm also seems to be among the 'missing' no pun intended... well maybe just a little. :P Not surprising as it was treated by NBC as a stepchild, on Saturday night no less. Not feelin' the love at all. :( Most potted plants get better treatment -- those that live anyway.

As usual, I'm going to have to rely on the higher cable channels for the bulk of my TV box entertainment.

• Members

Sad for the fans of Sanctuary. Syfy has cancelled Sanctuary.

That is surprising! I thought Syfy only canceled good shows! ;o)

While I'm surprised there are fans of Sanctuary I guess it may have gotten a lot better than the initial episodes. Syfy seems masterful at sticking with unwatchable crap but as soon as something finds it legs / starts to get great it's gone. Stargate Universe and this great final season of Eureka being perfect examples...

Guest NCBored

That is surprising! I thought Syfy only canceled good shows! ;o)

While I'm surprised there are fans of Sanctuary I guess it may have gotten a lot better than the initial episodes. Syfy seems masterful at sticking with unwatchable crap but as soon as something finds it legs / starts to get great it's gone. Stargate Universe and this great final season of Eureka being perfect examples...

I enjoyed the first couple of season of Sanctuary, but lost interest the last year or so.

• Members

Wow, Elementary sounded so fucking stupid when I first heard of it, but that trailer is great, I've always liked Johnny Lee Miller (though he's not in much and was entirely forgettable in Dark Shadows...) and Lucy Liu is a great idea as Watson!

It's still no Sherlock, but I'm looking forward to it, especially since we only get about 3 Sherlocks a year...