TampaYankee

Want to do more than just bitch about the state of affairs?

• Members

Here is a progressive blog site that makes that possible in a relatively easy way. I do not agree with all of their campaigns but I do agree with several of them, like defeating my neanderthal tea party would-be GOP congressman, for one.

Check them out. You might find some issues that stir your political passions. Free to look. :D

http://credoaction.com

• Members

Copied that bookmark for a more in-depth look in the future, though at first glance I'm dubious of the efficacy of online petitions or contacting "your representatives".

Can't be any less effective than doing nothing. Also, there is power in numbers. Ten thousand individual calls or letters may be better than ten thousand on a list. But that is better than a few letters here and a few calls there.

Also, when my state congress people see my address or phone number they recognize that as a constituent. That means a vote.

Also, Credo often is an easy source for contact info for campaign targets and for other like minded supporting organizations. (Consumers Union is another active organization for political issues that effect our lives.)

It's a tool that makes it easier to participate if one is inclined to. I never was much inclined before the past few years but the GOP has gone off the rails as well as their rockers and I've had enough. I'm adding what little effect I can have as a voice and contributor where I belive it might do some good.

I was never moved to become active or a contributor in politics before, other than voting in each and every election (save one). I had a preference in candidates and sometimes in party but I was always confident that whoever won, it wasn't going to screw up the country and disenfranchise citizens.

I'm no longer quite so sanguine about our future starting with the supreme court, social saftey net, labor rights, basic privacy rights, war and other foreign adventurism, etc. As I said, the GOP is off the rails. Paul Ryan and Grover Norquist want to fundamentally change the nature of this country and they are working to do it. They are succeeding, in part, too. They want to return this country to the 20's, institute a plutocracy, and secure our business access to foreign oil through active military intervention on a continuing basis. They seek to strangle the government of funds until it can only fulfil the national security function and keep the internal peace.

There is a reason behind giving the richest more and more in tax breaks and swtiching mecidare off to a voucher program. With no new taxes and with more tax give aways, that proposed pitifully inadequate Medicare voucher will slowly shrink to nothing which is just where they want it. Clearly the GOP has changed strategy from the short game to the long game, hoping the people, who have more concrens with short term issues, will not see it for what it is.

• Members

Don't get me wrong, I fully agree something is much better than nothing, and much needs to be done, I just wish there were ways to do more.

I'm kind of jaded because much of the batshittery limiting/censoring the Internet is coming directly from my own representatives, bought and paid for by Hollywood... my contacting them did fuck all.

I think it's clear money speaks, and if there isn't a candidate you believe strongly in there's lobbying and legal aid organizations. For my interest, the EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation) is pretty relevant.

• Members

Don't get me wrong, I fully agree something is much better than nothing, and much needs to be done, I just wish there were ways to do more.

I'm kind of jaded because much of the batshittery limiting/censoring the Internet is coming directly from my own representatives, bought and paid for by Hollywood... my contacting them did fuck all.

I think it's clear money speaks, and if there isn't a candidate you believe strongly in there's lobbying and legal aid organizations. For my interest, the EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation) is pretty relevant.

I concur in a multifaceted approach on multiple fronts. Bringing attention to one source doesn't mean excluding others. Putting all the eggs in one basket is never the best idea. Select the best tool for the job of which there are several.

• Members

I write my editor, columnists, elected officials, the local radio talk host and most everyone I either agree with or disagree with. That includes this MB. ^_^

Virtually all of them answer; some with considered comments, some with "standard" position replies, etc. but at least someone among their official retinue did read what i wrote, very often the addressee.

None of that means I am spending "all" of my time writing letters but it does make me feel like I am participating in our "grand" experiment aka the USA. This "experiment" is a living thing and continually is going in new and sometimes odd directions. It is up to "us" to nudge it in the "proper" direction as best we can and as often as we can.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest Hoover42

Be careful of Credo, once you support any of the campaigns, you may be continually pestered by them to sign up for the Credo credit card. Don't forget to look for the "unsubscribe" link. ^_^

• Members

Be careful of Credo, once you support any of the campaigns, you may be continually pestered by them to sign up for the Credo credit card. Don't forget to look for the "unsubscribe" link. :smile:

Just say "NO"!

Let me make one thing clear: I'm using them, I'm not letting them use me.

If they approach me with something I'm not interested in (and they do sometimes) I ignore it or say no, whichever is appropriate. This is true of amazon.com and consumers union and many others. They have their agendas, I have mine. When they overlap I take advantage of it and support them too.

• Members

Be careful of Credo, once you support any of the campaigns, you may be continually pestered by them to sign up for the Credo credit card. Don't forget to look for the "unsubscribe" link. :smile:

I kinda like the idea of Credo though, I think they're the same people who used to provide phone service too. Much better to support a company that works (even superficially, though I think the do more) for positive causes than to support companies like AT&T and Citibank which are quite obviously working against consumers!