Guest EXPAT

HBO's new "The Newsroom" - looks really good

Guest EXPAT

I cancelled HBO a while back in an effort to gain control of my cable bill, but from the looks of The Newsroom, I'm going to have to find savings somewhere else, because this looks amazing. And Jane Fonda does so much with just a few words, channeling her ex-husband. I am getting a current three month "free sample" run of HBO but of course this show starts just as my trial ends, so I will have to renew to watch this and True Blood.

Guest hitoallusa

Why don't you watch it online? You can find any TV shows online if you don't mind waiting a couple of days...

Guest gcursor

I rarely get into new shows right away. I have to wait for the "urge" to hit me. Recently I just caught up with SUPERNATURAL over a period of a few months and that's been on tv for how long now? I started watching BUFFY but that doesn't really do it for me. I've bought true blood season 1 on dvd and have never opened it (waiting for the urge to hit me) but will probably go through the seasons pell-mell when I get started. game of thrones is another one i haven't sat down and watched.

• Members

I loved Buffy, but it's because the characters grow on you over the course of the seasons. I think what hooked me was seeing a really good character episode from season 3 or 4, THEN I was able to enjoy the whole thing, plus Angel.

Still haven't tried Supernatural or Fringe, though I hear great things about both.

Eureka (despite being on SciFi) is pretty damn good in it's final season so far. The Lost Girl ads make it sound interesting too...

Guest EXPAT

I can't get into Game of Thrones at all. It bores me senseless. I've tried it now twice and I just can't get into it at all.

• Members

You're missing a lot, but it can be very hard to follow. I read the books and still lose track of who some people are.

The first season was mostly setup (just like the first book), with not much happening other than cool atmosphere... but the second season has some good action so far.

Guest NCBored

I've watched the first 3 episodes and really like it. And I'm sure Sam Waterston is having a ball with his fesity alcoholic character. One of my favorites lines is Waterston, all up in the face of a younger character: I'll whip your ass, I don't care how many protein bars you eat!"

• Members

Finished watching the first season yesterday.

Overall, The Newsroom is FUCKING EXCELLENT! It perfectly uses past news events to illustrate current ones and says exactly the kinds of things liberals (and even in some cases true conservatives--instead of sitting back and taking it from the Tea Party) should've been screaming from the rooftops for YEARS!

There are some truly great episodes, though I started to get really tired of the fucking love triangle in the season finale, especially because other storylines were pretty high stakes. Also, big fans of West Wing will find themselves pulled out occasionally when they notice a Sorkin-ism they've seen before. "I don't know what that means..." There've been a couple episodes that flirted with copying major structural elements from WW episodes, hopefully they don't get any closer than that...

All in all it's a lot like The West Wing--a fairy tale, what we wish the subject was, instead of what it really is. But also entertaining, touching, and informative. Highly recommended! And the world would be a better place if each of us managed to hook one Fox "News" viewer on it!!

Guest NCBored

Finished watching the first season yesterday.

Overall, The Newsroom is FUCKING EXCELLENT! It perfectly uses past news events to illustrate current ones and says exactly the kinds of things liberals (and even in some cases true conservatives--instead of sitting back and taking it from the Tea Party) should've been screaming from the rooftops for YEARS!

There are some truly great episodes, though I started to get really tired of the fucking love triangle in the season finale, especially because other storylines were pretty high stakes. Also, big fans of West Wing will find themselves pulled out occasionally when they notice a Sorkin-ism they've seen before. "I don't know what that means..." There've been a couple episodes that flirted with copying major structural elements from WW episodes, hopefully they don't get any closer than that...

All in all it's a lot like The West Wing--a fairy tale, what we wish the subject was, instead of what it really is. But also entertaining, touching, and informative. Highly recommended! And the world would be a better place if each of us managed to hook one Fox "News" viewer on it!!

Well said! It's one of those shows that I watch first (I DVR everything!). I agree about the love triangle (quadrangle?) tho - I don't have a lot of patience left for the back-and-forth after the last 2 epsisodes.

Now that it's over, I'm waiitng for Sons of Anarchy, Justified, The Walking Dead and Southland..

The problem with the show and why it won't win any Emmy's is that Aaron Sorkin wrote every character with the exact same personality and they all talk 1000 miles a minute. Every person has a different personality and that was not reflected in this series. And for that reason it didn't win for me in the long run. I did like all the preaching he did but it would never succeed with a mainstream audience because he didn't make each character different in his effort to get his message across. He just simply forgot about that essential plot element. And Will McAvoy's character is no more a republican than I am. That was not remotely believable given his choice of news coverage on every episode.