Guest EXPAT

May 1st - one year later

Guest EXPAT

There has been a lot of negative press about Obama using this as a political advantage but I don't know why? Any normal person should expect him to use this as a political advantage. But I guess on the other hand anyone should believe that the opponents would complain about it.

post-105999-0-16069500-1335886343.jpg

Guest EXPAT

Obama's speech tonight from Afghanistan:

Obama's speech to the troops in Afghanistan earlier today:

President Barack Obama made a surprise visit to Afghanistan on Tuesday night to sign an agreement with President Hamid Karzai outlining the United States' military presence in Afghanistan after 2014.

In a live address, President Obama spoke from Bagram Air Base north of Kabul early Wednesday morning, emphasizing that America must finish the job it started while Afghanistan stabilizes.

"My fellow Americans, we have traveled through more than a decade under the dark cloud of war. Yet here, in the pre-dawn darkness of Afghanistan, we can see the light of a new day on the horizon. The Iraq War is over. The number of our troops in harm’s way has been cut in half, and more will be coming home soon. We have a clear path to fulfill our mission in Afghanistan, while delivering justice to al Qaeda," he said.

President Obama also underlined points of the agreement, including that the U.S. will not build military bases in Afghanistan.

"We will shift into a support role as Afghans step forward," President Obama said.

President Obama's trip coincides with the anniversary of former al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden's death. President Obama and President Karzai signed the agreement at the presidential palace in the Afghan capital Kabul.