Guest EXPAT

Alan Cumming in "Any Day Now"

Guest EXPAT

At the Tribeca premiere of his movie Any Day Now, about a gay couple adopting a mentally challenged kid, Alan Cumming talked about myths of gay parents. “You know, most of the abuse against children comes from straight parents—from straight men, actually. And its a terrible misstatement that gay men are somehow going to be more abusive to their children. It’s absolutely not true in any way. And yet still there’s kind of this myth in society. And I find that part of the whole prejudice that gay people suffer. We’re still fighting against it and I hope that this film will in some way help to eradicate that.”

Guest hitoallusa

A biased statement about straight parents tend to abuse their children more. That's because there are more straight parents????? It's not based on sound statistics.

I think the author of the book " Think Fast and Slow" will probably say the same thing.

That kind of irrational biased thinking is so prevalent in America. Where did we fail in our education.. Education is to promote rational thinking but more and more people become irrational people being controlled by other people, IMHO...

• Members

I knew a gay man who adopted a young boy, and the sniggering and innuendo by a few others I knew regarding him and his then teenage son speak more to their trustworthiness around teenage girls than anything else, in my opinion...

We need to start taking a hard look at those kinds of people. Just like it's often the most homophobic in their actions and public lives who turn out to be living a very destructive double life (pastor Ted Haggard, Senator Larry Craig), people sure others must be molesting children (because it's what they would do given the chance...?) might deserve some extra scrutiny.