Guest FourAces

Kindle Fire Takes 54% of Android Tablet Market

Guest FourAces

The next closest is Samsung at 15% WOW a huge difference.

In fairness to other Android tablets the Kindle Fire is also the most skinned of them all. If one did not know about the Android OS he might mistake it for a OEM OS of Amazon.

Anyone here own the Kindle Fire? If so how do you like it?

Guest EXPAT

I still haven't purchased into the tablet market yet. If I traveled more I would get one. I may decide to replace my laptop someday only with a tablet but haven't had the need yet. My 3 year old MacBook Pro is still working perfectly.

• Members

I skipped the Fire because the screen is the same backlit LCD I already have many of, combined with not much horsepower for doing stuff like watching videos (especially stuff not bought through Amazon...).

Kindle Fire is just an even more locked down plus underpowered version of everything my Android cell phone can already do.

But having an e-ink Kindle for reading books is great.

Guest FourAces

I still haven't purchased into the tablet market yet. If I traveled more I would get one. I may decide to replace my laptop someday only with a tablet but haven't had the need yet. My 3 year old MacBook Pro is still working perfectly.

Plus there are things your laptop can do that you still are unable to do on a tablet. Though that road is getting much more narrow with each new OS. By the time you decide to make the switch there probably will be little difference between function of the two.

Guest FourAces

I skipped the Fire because the screen is the same backlit LCD I already have many of, combined with not much horsepower for doing stuff like watching videos (especially stuff not bought through Amazon...).

Kindle Fire is just an even more locked down plus underpowered version of everything my Android cell phone can already do.

But having an e-ink Kindle for reading books is great.

The reviews for the Kindle tend to be very good. But from what I have seen there are many areas that can be improved. Maybe if they come out with there next version we will see better specs and features.

You're right most of the higher end Android devices can do as much if not more than the Fire. The main difference being screen size though.

Barnes and Noble has just released the e-ink glow. It gets very high marks. The best of a e-ink reader and when needed the glow feature ytakes care of the night time or in the dark reading issues without glare. Being the techie you are you might wanna check it out.

Guest hitoallusa

Oz you are such a nice uncle.. ^_^

That is amazing stats. I bought one for my niece and she loves it. She is an avid reader and not a game player but she loves the Fire.

This stat also may account for the huge profit Amazon posted today.

• Members

Barnes and Noble has just released the e-ink glow. It gets very high marks. The best of a e-ink reader and when needed the glow feature ytakes care of the night time or in the dark reading issues without glare. Being the techie you are you might wanna check it out.

I'll keep an eye out for one to poke at, but am already locked into Kindle purchases plus don't have much faith in the longevity of Barns and Noble...

Guest FourAces

I'll keep an eye out for one to poke at, but am already locked into Kindle purchases plus don't have much faith in the longevity of Barns and Noble...

I think it will be diffifult for them to survive as well however they are making the right moves to do so. I hate to see them go under basically leaving consumers two choices Amazon and Apple.

Guest FourAces

Well B&N ebooks and related products will def survive. Microsoft just invested 300 million in a new venture between the two.

============

from CNET

Enter Microsoft and its $300 million investment in what amounts to a spinoff of Barnes & Noble's Nook digital media business, which includes e-books, textbooks, and all those digital newspapers and magazines its been selling on Nook devices. So far the new "subsidiary" of Barnes & Noble doesn't have a name (it's simply referred to as Newco) but you might as well call it Nooksoft (read more here about the announcement here).

• Members

Well, MS has backed failures too, but yeah, it'll be interesting to see what becomes of B&N with MS's backing!

And while I resisted ebooks for a lot longer than you'd expect for a confirmed techie, when I finally did convert I found myself late one night trying to physically turn the page on one! So for those who think paper is the only way, I say try an *e-ink* device at some point.

I continue to maintain that backlit LCD-type readers (Fire, iPad) are inferior for books, maybe good enough, maybe not--but a great medium for magazines and movies...