Guest EXPAT

Social Media can make or break your next job opportunity

Guest FourAces

Nothing really new. Basically common sense.

A friend of mine worked for Research In Motion in the tech support department. She made a comment about RIM on her Twitter account they saw it and terminated her employment :(

• Members

Playing with Facebook is playing with fire unless one has the discipline and maturity to manage networking tools. Being careful means being cautious and minimalistic in use. Target it to professional use if you wish. Use only for private life if do not value your privacy. Know you may put future employment at risk.

There have been numerous stories of prospective employers demanding passwords to FB accounts as a requirement for job applications. So far, although there have been howls over privacy intrusion, there are no laws to prevent that practice at this time. I do not see the GOP rushing to embrace such laws, being the business-friendly party that it is. Maybe some states will step in but that won't cover the entire country.

Guest EXPAT

I'm always amazed what I see people posting on Facebook. It shocks me sometimes because I can see their jobs going down in flames if the wrong person saw it. I'm very cautious about any posting and I'm active on Facebook and LinkedIN as well.

And if I were ever in an interview where I was asked for my Facebook sign on and password I would immediately get up and walk out just simply because I would want nothing to do with an employer who thought that was important. They can see what's public and that's all they get.

• Members

And if I were ever in an interview where I was asked for my Facebook sign on and password I would immediately get up and walk out just simply because I would want nothing to do with an employer who thought that was important. They can see what's public and that's all they get.

:thumbsup: Bravo!

Even Henry Ford ran his Sociological Department's surprise home visits for only a short while, and that was nearly a century ago.

If an employer wants to spend time peeking up my ass, he better be ready with a marriage proposal. :flowers:

• Members

lookin-

LOL.

I guess I cannot either be "made or broken" by social media because I do not participate in any of it.

Our current society MUST be terribly bored to spend all that time writing what the dog ate, the baby did, the weather or whatnot.

One day I might add texting to my cell phone but not any time soon. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

Guest hitoallusa

Oh my RA1, I didn't know you had a baby.. Congrats!

Our current society MUST be terribly bored to spend all that time writing what the dog ate, the baby did,

• Members

Our current society MUST be terribly bored to spend all that time writing what the dog ate, the baby did, the weather or whatnot.

Endless curiosity about what the folks around us are up to is built into our DNA, RA1. Whether it's on Facebook or sitting around the campfire, 10% of the conversation is about tomorrow's hunt and 90% is about whether Mike is fucking Joe's wife.

One day I might add texting to my cell phone but not any time soon. :smile:

It took me 40 years to learn to type on a full sized keyboard. On a cell phone? Forgetaboutit.

• Members

And what if you are recent college graduate who hasn't been able to get a job interview not to menation a job... and the student loan nonpayment notices keep piling up with no other prospects in sight. Or youv'e been out of work a year and you dont know how you will feed the kids next month.

Many of us are in a position to flash the 'up-yours' sign. Many are not and they are desperate. That's where privacy laws ought to step in, IMO.

As sure as manure stinks we are on our way back in time when workers rights were a dream.

• Members

I take it there's some arcane technical reason a qiuck precautionary edit of your Facebook page wouldn't serve to cover your tracks. (If you're too far gone to spot what needs removing, things probable aren't gonna work out anyway.)

Alternatively, if there's too many cherished memories stashed there to lose...

What about setting up a dummy page stuffed with innocuous postings? Or maybe even some innocent musings about how you've dreamed of finding a position as a (flunky at desired employer's business) since the age of nine?

Problem solved. (you may now applause)

• Members

Supposedly some companies/interviewers ask you to login to facebook so they can see even your non-public stuff, it's against Facebook's terms of service and some lawmakers even made a little noise. For me it would just help me to know that's not an employer I'd wish to have. And I'm not even on Facebook!

But yeah, common sense and nothing wrong with having a separate identity for your more questionable activities. Problem is many of the social networks want you to prove your identity...

• Members

But yeah, common sense and nothing wrong with having a separate identity for your more questionable activities.

Problem is that you have immediately opened up yourself to terms for dismissal for providing misleading or inaccurate data for your job application process. I'm sure that won't stop most from taking that route. I'm equally sure there will be instances where that deception will come to light. Again, this shouldn't be a sword hanging over the heads of people looking for work.