Guest EXPAT

GLEE premieres first transgendered cast member

Guest lurkerspeaks

This is Alex Newell (I think that is his name, at least), who was a contestant on Glee Project. He was one of the runner's up who won a two episode arc.

Guest lurkerspeaks

the next episode is the Whitney Houston tribute. In it, Samuel Larson (Joe) and Dianna Agron (Quinn) do a duet of "Saving all my love for you".. you can listen here (sorry but it is audio without the visuals)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA6Efkzdn4o

On a side note, was it just me, or was Damien absent in the Saturday Night Glee-ver episode?

• Members

OK, I'm confused and hope someone can help me understand.

Is this really a transgendered person or is it an actor "pretending" to be transgendered?

I believe the guy in the wheelchair is really not paralized and only "acts" paralized. Wondered it it is the same with the transgendered character.

Guest lurkerspeaks

it is a gay man (18 year old boy) who is portraying transgender. (unless things have changed since Glee Project was filmed last year). Although Alex has been seen wearing eyeshadow on occasion.

And you are correct, Kevin McHale who play Artie is not really paralyzed. He is able to walk, it is just his character on Glee that needs the wheelchair.

• Members

By the way, now that Ryan Murphy, Bradley Beucker, Brad Falchuk, Ian Brennan and especially at fault, Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa have now provided us with High School Drag for the second time(remember the Victor/Victoria duet) can this show officially be pronounced as having jumped the shark?

Guest lurkerspeaks

I am really hoping that Damien and Samuel become new cast regulars next season to replace some of the "graduating" seniors.

• Members

it is a gay man (18 year old boy) who is portraying transgender. (unless things have changed since Glee Project was filmed last year). Although Alex has been seen wearing eyeshadow on occasion.

And you are correct, Kevin McHale who play Artie is not really paralyzed. He is able to walk, it is just his character on Glee that needs the wheelchair.

I don't watch the show, not sure how I feel about non-trans playing trans... but the wheelchair thing (and the "blind" guy--though a hot actor--in another show) annoy me. Sexuality is a spectrum so having somebody play something a little futher than themselves one way or the other, no big deal. But a paraplegic actor CAN NOT play a non-parapalegic part, same with a blind actor, or most deaf actresses... yet only the deaf community seems to stand up for themselves and insist on self-portrayal. They forced the recasting of the deaf girl on sadly canceled Jericho, to my understanding, and I fucking love Marlee Matlin (though I wish she hadn't gone near Trump). Why don't other groups?