Guest hitoallusa

Can you think of a word?

Guest hitoallusa

Can you think of a word that is associated with all three words below?

Dive light rocket

I didn't get it right but the author of the book that i am reading says that every speaker of English recognizes it. I just want to figure out what's wrong with me. ^_^

• Members

I thought of 'high' but according to this article it's a shorter rhyming word.

Around 1960, a young psychologist named Sarnoff Mednick thought he had identified the essence of creativity. His idea was as simple as it was powerful: creativity is associative memory that works exceptionally well. He made up a test, called the Remove Association Test, which is still often used in studies of creativity.

For an easy example, consider the following three words:

cottage Swiss cake

Can you think of a word that is associated with all three? You probably worked out that the answer is cheese. Now try this:

dive light rocket

This problem is much harder, but it has a unique correct answer, which every speaker of the English language recognizes, although less than 20% of a sample of students found it within 15 seconds. The answer is sky*.

—Daniel Kahneman

(Thinking, Fast and Slow, Doubleday Canada, 2011)

* mouse-over to see word

Guest hitoallusa

Lookin! ^_^ I just wanted to know how many our fellow fourim members came up with "sky".... I didn't get it either.. Think fast and slow is a good read but the author himself makes a couple of fast intuitive statements that are biased and flawed too. After all we are all human...

• Members

I have spent all of my life (so far) trying to figure out what is wrong with me and, now, you want me to try to figure out what is wrong with you, also? ^_^

Best regards,

RA1