Guest EXPAT

Dick Clark dies of massive heart attack at 82

Guest EXPAT

Dick Clark will be honored with "fan confetti" this New Year's Eve, with folks being able to write messages and memories on slips of paper to be dropped over Time Square, where he presided for so many years. Dick Clark is New Year's Eve to me. My parents were never big on baby sitters, but New Year's Eve is mom's birthday, and I spent most of my childhood New Years with my older cousin, eating popcorn, playing games, and watching Dick Clark. These days I may watch Anderson Cooper and Kathy Griffin banter, but when the ball dropped, I always had it on Dick Clark.

• Members

It's interesting to me that we always seem to describe a stroke or a heart attack as a "massive" one. It's not just EXPAT, it is many people. I was next to some folks at the theater, and the gossip overheard was how a friend had suffered a "massive" stroke. I wonder why it has to be "massive?" Can an ordinary stroke or heart attack do just as much harm?

For the record, the article that is quoted says: "

Dick Clark is dead after suffering a heart attack" Nothing said about massive...

Guest CharliePS

It's interesting to me that we always seem to describe a stroke or a heart attack as a "massive" one. It's not just EXPAT, it is many people. I was next to some folks at the theater, and the gossip overheard was how a friend had suffered a "massive" stroke. I wonder why it has to be "massive?" Can an ordinary stroke or heart attack do just as much harm?

For the record, the article that is quoted says: "

Dick Clark is dead after suffering a heart attack" Nothing said about massive...

I think "massive" is simply a code word that people use to indicate that the stroke or heart attack was strong enough to kill the person immediately or quickly, sort of a synonym for "unsurvivable." It tells us nothing about the size or physical nature of the event.

• Members

I agree with PSP Charlie. We all know several to many folks who have survived for many years heart attacks and strokes. It doesn't seem logical that all of those folks were in imminent danger of expiring although some certainly were. Serious or life-threatening seem alternative descriptions of both " attacks".

Not to take anything away from DC but I read with interest recently that Wink Martindale was also being considered for American Bandstand. He is a local to me boy who has had his share of fame and presumbably fortune but not on the level that DC enjoyed.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest EXPAT

Actually when I posted this originally CNN announced that he died from a Massive Heart attack and I was quoting CNN. And they were quoting the official family statement that stated "massive heart attack".

• Members

IAE-

CBS and others repeated the "massive heart attack" description during follow-up stories regarding what and why DC was being treated. Being treated for BPH seems an "unglorious" way and reason to die. The simple answer is it was his "time".

Best regards,

RA1