JKane

We need to start shoving back on the Right-Wing...

Guest FourAces

Yep, that's why I prefer when Jon Stewart does it on The Daily Show, it's more accessible to the masses than when O'Donnell or Maddow do it--even though they may do it better.

I agree more will watch John Stweart than MSNBC. And as EXPAT mentioned if you're watching MSNBC you are already on the same side so to speak.

Sadly the extreme right has control of the radio airwaves. Till that is balanced out there won't be much meaningful push back.

• Members

Yep, that's why I prefer when Jon Stewart does it on The Daily Show, it's more accessible to the masses than when O'Donnell or Maddow do it--even though they may do it better.

Two totally different audiences. One looking for depth and discussion and the other looking for comedy, irony, satire, minute essays. Both audiences valuable with different attention hooks and spans.

• Members

Dan Savage may have just put the machine in overdrive! Fucking awesome!

A great brouhaha is stirring in the nation's conservative publications over comments Dan Savage made two weeks ago while addressing the JEA/NSPA National High School Journalism Convention. The convention was entitled "Journalism On The Edge," which you'd think would prep participants for a certain amount of edginess in the presentations. Alas, the audience was not prepared for edginess. Savage's subject was to be bullying, and he got right to the point:

The Bible. We'll just talk about the Bible for a second. People often point out that they can't help it -- they can't help with the anti-gay bullying, because it says right there in Leviticus, it says right there in Timothy, it says right there in Romans, that being gay is wrong.

We can learn to ignore the bulls**t in the Bible about gay people. The same way, the same way we have learned to ignore the bulls**t in the Bible about shellfish, about slavery, about dinner, about farming, about menstruation, about virginity, about masturbation. We ignore bulls**t in the Bible about all sorts of things. The Bible is a radically pro-slavery document. Slave owners waved Bibles over their heads during the Civil War and justified it. The shortest book in the New Testament is a letter from Paul to a Christian slave owner about owning his Christian slave. And Paul doesn't say "Christians don't own people." Paul talks about
how
Christians own people.

We ignore what the Bible says about slavery,
because the Bible got slavery wrong
. Tim -- uh, Sam Harris, in
A Letter To A Christian Nation
, points out that the Bible got the easiest moral question that humanity has ever faced
wrong
. Slavery. What're the odds that the Bible got something as complicated as human sexuality wrong? One hundred percent.

The Bible says that if your daughter's not a virgin on her wedding night -- if a woman isn't a virgin on her wedding night, she shall be dragged to her father's doorstep and stoned to death.
Callista Gingrich lives.
And there is no effort to amend state constitutions to make it legal to stone women to death on their wedding night if they're not virgins. At least not yet. We don't know where the GOP is going these days.

People are dying because people can't clear this one last hurdle. They can't get past this one last thing in the Bible about homosexuality.

Um, one other thing I wanna talk about is -- [chuckles] -- so, you can tell the Bible guys in the hall that they can come back now, because I'm done beating up the Bible. It's funny, as someone who's on the receiving end of beatings that are justified by the Bible, how pansy-assed some people react when you push back.

I apologize if I hurt anyone's feelings.
But
. I have a right to defend myself. And to point out the hypocrisy of people who justify anti-gay bigotry by pointing to the Bible, and insisting we must live by the code of Leviticus on this one issue and no other.

As Savage noted, Christian students in the thousands-strong audience fled from his address, first in a trickle, and then in a great flood. The exodus began right around the time Savage started talking about slavery. Very soon, the offended students were talking to the press...

Read more: http://www.towleroad.com/2012/04/dan_savage_journalism_conference.html#ixzz1tNhCRadS

Guest hitoallusa

Well trust me if one finds a taint of blood or semen in one's dish at a fine restaurant then it is likely the owner of the restaurant will get sued! Maybe Million Moms will protest in front of the restaurant. A restaurant chef knows that they should not have blood or semen in the kitchen counter not to mention in any dish he makes. It's hard to get 100 points at a restaurant inspection but the government still enforce the inspection because it can save lives. Believe if someone touches you or food with blood in their hands ? What will be your response? Can we give some the benefit of doubt to the Bible? I think the guy who wrote the article is disrespectful.

It's not hypocrisy in my opinion. It was their way of life in order to make sense of their miserable situation. I'm glad that some of the things in the Bible don't apply to us anymore. I'm glad that we can make better choices. Love you all..

• Members

I'm not really sure what you're talking about, other than possibly the passage that JoHo's cite to refuse blood, nor how it really relates to the piece.

NO, WE CAN NOT GIVE THE BIBLE THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT. It's a mysoginistic work of fiction written by a cadre of powerful males, at best from hearsay, then demonstrably EDITED over time by powerful male political leaders.

It contains the most vile works sitting in every library in America and as Savage points out, while almost all of that is politely ignored, the 2 or 3 mentions of homosexuality are used against us to this day including inducing many to commit suicide!

FUCK NO, IT DOES NOT GET ANY BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT!

2 Kings 2:23-24 Elisha went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head.

And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty-two children of them.

--42 children *slaughtered* for making fun of a bald man, yet this same book is used as a shield for those who belittle gays...

2 Kings 8:12 "You will set fire to their fortified places, kill their young men with the sword, dash their little children to the ground, and rip open their pregnant women."

--A direct commandment from the lord YOUR god, mind you!

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed and spread dung upon your faces..." Malachi 2:3

"...I will take your wives before your eyes and give them to your neighbor, and he shall lie with your wives in the light of this sun." 2 Samuel 12:11

"Their infants will be dashed in pieces before their eyes, their houses will be plundered and their wives ravished."

Isaiah 13:16