Guest EXPAT

Mad Men - Male Masculinity episode last night

Guest EXPAT

Mad Men again focused on a popular topic 'round the AfterElton water cooler: masculinity! In all its attractive, sporty, sexual, confusing, and hilarious forms! Don Draper worked out a new wardrobe choice, Roger Sterling wowwed us with wuthering words, Pete Campbell tried to be a hustling psycho like Don (and blew it!), and Lane Pryce showed us that he's the hottest pugilist stuck 30-40 years in the past. Let's count up the five most fabulous moments of "Signal 30" and fan ourselves when it gets sweaty.

Time for Katy Perry to release a single called "I Kicked the Crap Out of Pete Campbell (And I Liked It)," because I'd zap that up from iTunes in a quick minute. Lane and Pete bickered in the office about who botched the Jaguar account late in the episode, and without much buildup, they decided to duke it out in the boardroom while Don, Roger, and a hilariously befuddled Bert Cooper looked on. Sounds fine to me!

Pete looked juvenile and preppy with his fists jangling in the air like dog scrotums, but Lane's dukes were so committed, so old-school, and so... Jack Dempsey (pictured below), and that is OLD. Like, '20s old.Ingemar Johansson is positively futuristic in comparison. Naturally, Lane's zesty fisticuffs destroyed Pete's scrote screen, and he walked off in victory. This proves Mad Men's biggest point: Throwback style is the best style, and somehow, it's always the freshest too.

While Lane and Pete dueled like our forefathers, Joan and Peggy gathered around the window to hear the melee from outside. I forget sometimes that Peggy and Joan are pretty accustomed allies, but when it comes both to dodging and marveling at the chauvinism around them, they're sympatico. Joan's coaching of Peggy to be quiet and listen in was pure 9 to 5 lady politicking, and this forces me to pick Joan and Peggy's 9 to 5counterparts. I suppose Joan is Doralee since she's self-assured but only defiant when she has to be, and Peggy is the perfectly ascotted Judy Bernly. This is an overwhelmingly fabulous cross-section in popular cultures, and I hope your faces weren't torched in the exercise.

Any other fabulous moments in last night's episode? I almost included Pete's fling's leopard underwear, Lane's mention of "chewing gum stuck in pubis," and Don's handyman finesse at Trudy's party, but those moments had nothing to do with 9 to 5 or Kate Bush. You understand. Though the pubis moment sounds like it could be a ghastly update of Violet Beauregarde's gum fixation in Willy Wonka. Thoughts?

post-105999-0-92922200-1334598113.jpg

post-105999-0-81745800-1334598119.jpg

post-105999-0-13491800-1334598126.jpg