Guest gcursor

Time

Guest gcursor

So I managed to get past my college assessment tests. I scored really well on the reading and writing and did abysmally on the math portion. I'll have to probably take a remedial college math course.

Have you SEEN remedial college math courses? People walk in there and immediately you get a bracelet put on your ankle and your wrist. The instructor asks questions throughout the class and if you're wrong then ZAP! you get a shock. The first one isn't bad but it gets progressively worse depending on how bad the instructor's mood gets.

I was looking at some of those questions on the math test. I still can't think when in my computer career or any other time that I've had to use quadratic equations. "What's that sir? Excel isn't doing your formula properly? Are you using quadratic equations? NO?! Ok..well then I have no other solutions"

Not to mention the fact that the testing area I got shoved into had (among other things) 4 computers, an old movie popcorn maker, some leftover decorations from Christmas AND a Halloween costume that apparently nobody liked because it was in shreds. I will freely admit that the test scared the hell out of me though because when the first question started, I was SO nervous and wanted to do everything just right!

I read the first "sample" question then I re-read it. I decided on my answer. Then I looked further down and they told me the answer. I thought to myself, "Wow! They're going to give me the answers to all my questions! WHY DID I EVEN BOTHER TO STUDY?!? I LOVE THIS COLLEGE!" Then I clicked the NEXT button and the test said , "PLEASE SELECT AN ANSWER" and I said to it, "It's a SAMPLE question! WHO CARES?! Am I being graded on it?"

So yes...I made it through my assessment test. I'm thinking college is gonna be some fun for me and lots of headaches for my instructors. "GCURSOR , why did you not ANSWER questions 2,4,6,7,9 on the test? " and I would say, " because I thought they were "silly and everybody should know them."

• Members

Congrats and good luck going back to school! Don't be too scared of the math, it was never my strong suit either but take advantage of any 'math lab' type thing (I said mAth!) to DO all the homework in, where you can ask questions as they come up. Got me through it! I also chose to take my math during the short Summer semesters so while the intensity of suffering may've been greater the duration was much less!

I've often thought about going back for some post-grad, but have no idea where to start on stuff like LSAT.

• Members

So I managed to get past my college assessment tests. I scored really well on the reading and writing and did abysmally on the math portion. I'll have to probably take a remedial college math course.

Have you SEEN remedial college math courses?

Yes, but not for several decades. That was my first math course in the University and boy did I need it. And boy did I almost have a nervous meltdown over it. That is until one day when a light went on and I understood what y=f(x) meant really meant!

I was looking at some of those questions on the math test. I still can't think when in my computer career or any other time that I've had to use quadratic equations. "What's that sir? Excel isn't doing your formula properly? Are you using quadratic equations? NO?! Ok..well then I have no other solutions"

As my story progressed, my whole professional career was based on quadtratic equations -- literally the foundation. And that was the entry point.

So, I can offer one story where a kid with spotty high school math skills took a college remedial math course and went on to have a nice career in one of the most practical math fields imaginable.

While that probably isn't your goal, the message is that one can remediate his math skills and live to tell the tale. ;)

• Members

I did fine on my math SAT test, but when I entered my freshman Calculus class, I was behind from day one. Many in my class had already had a year of calculus but my high school didn't even offer it. I passed the course by the skin of my teeth, but then came Advanced Calculus, which I eventually flunked. I had never flunked anything in my life and it was a real poke in the eye. I had to repeat the course, and finally 'got it', as TY says. From then on, I was even with my classmates.

So my suggestion would be to get your 'remedial' class under your belt before you start college and avoid trying to play catch up while you're there. I think there's a real advantage to feeling that you're even with - or even a little ahead of - your classmates.

If there's an evening adult class you can take at either a local college or high school, I'd say go for it. Even one of those 'Quadratic Equations for Dummies' books would give you a leg up. The idea is to not feel like you're struggling in class, but are actually well above average.

Who knows, maybe you can even do a little 'tutoring' on the side. :rolleyes:

college-student-tutors.jpg

Guest hitoallusa

Ha I think I've figured out what TY's profession is ^_^

As my story progressed, my whole professional career was based on quadtratic equations -- literally the foundation. And that was the entry point.

Guest CharliePS

For what it's worth, gcursor, almost half of entering community college freshmen get placed in remedial math courses, so I wouldn't worry about it too much (of course, if I were the US Sec'y of Education, I would worry about it a great deal). I was fine in arithmatic--I can still add/substract/multiply/divide without a calculator--but I skipped 5th grade, which was when we learned fractions, and I was never good at math after that. I was surprised to get 600 on my math SAT, but I barely got through college math, and statistics in grad school was a killer. But I survived, and so will you.

Guest CharliePS

I've often thought about going back for some post-grad, but have no idea where to start on stuff like LSAT.

If you go to the Reference section of any big bookstore, you can find books that tell you how to prepare for the LSAT.

• Members

If you go to the Reference section of any big bookstore, you can find books that tell you how to prepare for the LSAT.

Yeah, I know the resources are out there, I even have a acquaintance who's tutored LSAT. I just haven't started to look into it at all... yet. It's kind of daunting since for the reasons I'd pursue it a Masters is mostly worthless. Not ready to start on a PHD quite yet!

Guest EXPAT

I thought about getting a PhD in Economics and I don't think I have the stomach for the testing once again. You have to do the GMAT again and its very different than when I did it back in 1985 for my MBA's.

Guest gcursor

did any of you see that WHAT WOULD YOU DO episode last week where they had those girls talking and one was going to cheat on her SAT for her if she gave her money? They tried to see how many people would say something if the girls were so blatant about discussing it. It was very interesting to watch.

Guest FourAces

G I am sure you will do well. Just the facrt you have returned to school at this stage in your life is proof enough you have what it takes to be successful in my mind. Good luck!