Guest lurkerspeaks

Remember when???

Guest lurkerspeaks

Let's take a peek back to the past...

Can you remember when....

1) Snack pack pudding came in a can with a pull ring?

2) Your tv had a dial for changing channels and had two antennaes and a loop antennae?

3) Your freezer had to be defrosted regularly due to ice buildup?

4) The only national tv stations were ABC, CBS and NBC?

5) You had to have a bottle opener to open soda or beer bottles?

6) There was the AMC automaker?

Feel free to add your own "can you remembers"

• Members

I can remember before "then". Before snack pudding. Before UHF (the loop antenna) and when we only had one channel and the one "national network" for it was NBC. By freezer, do you mean the "cold" part of the refrigerator? Yes, that needed defrosting on a regular basis. Also "church keys" which were used to punch holes in such as beer cans which did not have caps. AMC, the successor to Nash, George Romney was CEO, the father of Mitt.

I also remember 6 ounce bottles of Coke as well as 10 ounce bottles of Pepsi, the Hudson Hornet, the Nash Ambassador and many, many more.

None of that makes me necessarily nostaligic for same (some yes and some no) but I do remember them.

Best regards,

RA1

The rabbit ears were for VHF.

• Members

2) LOL, I remember when we had a long metal pole attached to the side of the house with an antenna array on top that would have done justice to a space satellite. When reception was bad one of us had to go outside and twist it around while Mom yelled out the window, "A little more, more...stop! now back a little."

Guest FourAces

Let's take a peek back to the past...

Can you remember when....

2) Your tv had a dial for changing channels and had two antennaes and a loop antennae?

Feel free to add your own "can you remembers"

The first time I took LSD I had a moment with a TV just like that. I did a little too much of the acid because I thought it wasn;'t working. I was watching Billy Preston (if you recall he had a giant afro) on some show and all of a sudden different color sparks were shooting out of his hair. I was like OK I can handle this .. well untill the antennaes began sword fight with each other and waving to me and pointing at me and stuff like that.

I can also remember gas station attendents filling your tank doing your windows checking your oil.

I can remember when flying on a airplane was more of a luxury and a first class experience.

I can remember when radio was more freeform and not controled by consultants.

Guest lurkerspeaks

ok..

Can you remember when..

...Flip Wilson portrayed Geraldine on tv?

... Ruth Buzzi and Artie Johnson (and many more) were on Rowan and Martin's Laugh in?

...Sonny and Cher were still together, and Cher was flat chested with no curves?

Guest EXPAT

Just how far back do you guys want me to remember? LOL

Unfortunately I remember all of that stuff and I'm not that old (at least in my own mind).

Guest CharliePS

I can also remember gas station attendents filling your tank doing your windows checking your oil.

You can still get that if you live in Oregon or New Jersey, because self-serve gas is not allowed in those states.

Guest CharliePS

I remember one of my first jobs was selling gas. It was 25 cents per gallon for a credit card purchase. If they paid cash they got it for 20 cents per gallon.

I remember when you had to pay cash for gas (I don't think there were any credit cards when I started driving).

• Members

There were gasoline credit cards back then but I think you had to be a property owner to get one; for sure, the credit requirements were steep.

Do you remember that with early bank cards, I had a Bank Americard, you had to "explain a reason" why you needed a cash advance. One time I was in PA on a trip and ran out of cash. I needed to go to upstate NY and went into a local bank with my card. I had to see a manager and explain why I needed the money. Traveling and ran out was good enough but still compared to today it was an ordeal. I actually took a taxi to the bank (with no cash in my pocket), told him to wait and got my "loan". ^_^

My first job was pumping gas but I do not remember offering a 20% discount for cash. I do remember the "ordinary" price of regular being 20-21 cents and high test being 4-5 cents more. The biggest discount I ever remember was about 2 cents for any reason.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

I was a hot gas pumper alright, entirely because it was a summer job in Memphis, TN which meant being out in the heat most of the day. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

Guest hitoallusa

Without any shirts on? That's really HOT!!

I was a hot gas pumper alright, entirely because it was a summer job in Memphis, TN which meant being out in the heat most of the day. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1