Guest FourAces

Classic American Cars

Guest FourAces

I like some of these cars from the 50s and 60s. Style back then really set brands a part from each other. These days so many cars have the same look.

• Members

Couldn't agree more. Cars were IT back then. The new models always created great anticipation every October and each maker had its spirited followers, almost like political parties today. I was a Ford boy because my father was a Ford Mechanic. My friend was a Chevy guy. We were always badmouthing the other maker but we enjoyed every bit as much all the new cars when they came out. It was, IMO, the great high-water mark of the street-auto industry.

As for the homogeneity of today, fleet milage requirements and the laws of physics-- specifically air drag -- and materials science -- chromed steel vs plastics and fiber glass -- permit only so much variation in design.

TY, love the Ford reminiscence. My father's first job was mechanic in his brother's garage shop. He idolized the great designer Harley Earl, so he loved to say he would rather push a Buick than drive anything else.

My first car was a '67 Mustang that had been rescued from the junkyard (ditched due to cracked block) and its 289 engine replaced with a rebuilt 302. (Such a car, like NYC perhaps ^_^ , should not be handed to the unready.) That was in 1976, by which time papa had sadly passed on. So there were no great fights about abandoning the GM fold.

Re body styling constraints today, yep, aerodynamics is huge determinant of fuel efficiency, second only to efficiency of powertrain itself. On the other hand, a couple of industrial designers I know seem to view this as just another worthy challenge.

Never thought I would be saying this, but some of the skin coming out of both Ford and GM today looks pretty good.

• Members

Because I remember all those cars when they were new, does that make me a classic American? ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

Guest CharliePS

Ah, the cars of my gilded youth! My second car was a two-tone green 1954 Mercury like the one pictured here. The first time I filled the gas tank, I was horrified at the expense: I think it cost about $3.25 (the tank, not per gallon).

After the 1920s, my father would only buy GM cars, but our nextdoor neighbor swore by Chrysler products. Each one was secretly delighted whenever the other had a problem with his car. My father definitely disapproved when I bought a 1958 Plymouth Fury with the gold anodized stripe down the side (305hp, duel exhausts, beige leather interior, the works--my girlfriend was stopped by the cops on a rural road in Maryland for driving 95mph, but they were so impressed by the car that they let her go with a warning). My father was relieved when I replaced it, even though the replacement was a practical VW Beetle, which he thought was little better than a toy.

• Members

The 1957 Fury would "snap your head back" and no doubt yours would also. ^_^

If you still owned the Beetle, it would be worth more now that whatever you paid for it. ^_^

Good report. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

Guest FourAces

My first car was a used 1966 GTO. It was all tricked out for the time. It was black outside and inside with a white convertable top lol. My friends and I used to drive around specific areas of San Diego where we knew we could find someone wanting to race us. The good old days ^_^