Guest FourAces

Sleep Apnea Anyone?

Guest lurkerspeaks

I am going back in for my first CPAP treatment/test tonite. We tried a little over a week ago. Went to the appointment, got all wired up and fit with a mask, then their computers wouldn't work so they couldn't monitor anything, and I was sent home..

Guest hitoallusa

Good luck Lurkerspeaks.. I hope the treatment works.

I am going back in for my first CPAP treatment/test tonite. We tried a little over a week ago. Went to the appointment, got all wired up and fit with a mask, then their computers wouldn't work so they couldn't monitor anything, and I was sent home..

• Members

Well my test is this Monday. They are gonna try to do a split study so I can take care of it all in one visit. I sure hope they're able to do so.

The did that for me. They want you early in the evening so you have some time to kill. Don't bring an engaging book to read (I did). Big mistake.

Guest FourAces

I have my second sleep apnea test scheduled for this Friday. They will be testing different masks and hopefully will find one that I like and again hopefully it will make a difference in my sleep habits.

Hey Lurker how did it go? Any difference yet in your sleep? I'm headed in Monday for the test and CPAP hopefully in the same session.

Guest FourAces

Well I walked out of my sleep study earlier tonight. I just don't have patience for these types of tests. I got there at 9:30pm for a split study. Meaning they will do the monitoring to determine I have sleep apnea then the use of the CPAP to correct it.

The sleep woman or whatever they are called tells me that I must be sleeping by 11pm as they need two hours for the first part. She also informed me under no circumstances can they start the second part past 1am, WTF?

Lets see she had to finish another patients wires first ... then for me 45 minutes to wire me up then 15 minutes left to fall asleep?

I said it won't work don't even bother and left :(

• Members

Very inflexible rules. I was told if I didn't sleep long enough in the first part they may not be able to do the second part, and then I might have to come back another night for the second part. My Dr. prescribed a split study...if possible. They shouldn't have discouraged you. It's their job to sit there all night monitoring you.

I'd complain to my Dr and ask if there is a different sleep study company to recommend. I did mine at a suburban Hospital.

Guest FourAces

Thanks Big K. I'm gonna give it one more try in a about 10 days. I like the place as its very close to my home and I am just too lazy to start over with all the paperwork.

In my never ending pursuit of a mask that is comfortable, I finally found I am one of the guys that need the full face mask. Today, I got an email with an article from CPAP Supply USA and it was good to read. Take a look for those interested.

CPAP Mask Guide & Tips

http://www.cpapsupplyusa.com/blog/post/2013/01/25/cpap-mask-guide-and-tips.aspx?utm_source=SaleAnnouncement&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=MaskGuideandFBPromo2013

• Members

For my first sleep study, I was awake all night. For my last study, I slept almost all night. The last doc still tried to sell me on sleep apnea aids even though I had only six points on the scale. Some people have a hundred. I didn't buy it. But I still have insomnia at least one night a week.

Guest hitoallusa

I don't have any trouble sleeping... Although I stay all might working sometimes... Also international travel never affects my sleep since I got use it so much... Problem for me is food and infections... I am very sensitive to everything...

Guest josephga

A friend of mine has a CPAP machine and likes it allot. I rarely sleep well. most nights only 4 hrs. I have TMJ and have to sleep with a mouth guard every night. some nights I wake up choking and have to drink water. I never sleep a night were I get up less than 3 times

• Members

For my first sleep study, I was awake all night. For my last study, I slept almost all night. The last doc still tried to sell me on sleep apnea aids even though I had only six points on the scale. Some people have a hundred. I didn't buy it. But I still have insomnia at least one night a week.

What is your day like physically? I find it easiest to fall asleep and stay asleep when I am "tired". Perhaps you need more appointments with boys? ^_^ I always sleep pretty well "afterwards". ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

I use a full face mask. It did take a couple of days to get used to it but the adjustment is more phychological than physiological. I use an "older" mask partly because it works and partly because newer ones appear to need a "new" adjustment period, if they work at all. My doc keeps bugging me to try new masks. I wonder if he is getting a kickback? ^_^

I do wipe the mask down with rubbing alcohol before each use. This has not caused any noticable deterioration of it and it kills germs and helps keep the mask clean. Generally only a very few minutes, like 3-5, are necessary for the alcohol to dissapate so you are not smelling it or breathing the fumes. By the time you brush your teeth, take a whiz and otherwise prepare for sleeping, the mask is ready for use. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1