Guest FourAces

Lost My Debit Card

Guest FourAces

I truly think I'm getting old as this post will show. Yesterday I went throug a drive thru paid with my debit card, which I use for nearly everything. Took the card placed it in my front shirt pocket where I normally keep it.

Drive about 10 minutes to a brief appointment. Walked in filled out a form then got back in my car. Went to check for my debit card and phone as I do often for some reason and the debit card was missing :o

Walked back into the ground floor office I had been in not there, looked on the sidewalk and inside my car not there.

Called the bank cancelled the card.

This morning get in my car and on the passenger seat is my debit card, WTF?

Thankfully I was able to activate it again but what a pain in the butt it was looking for it cancelling it and going through all the stress of what could have happened to it.

Guest EXPAT

I really wish people would consider never using a debit card ever again. The ability to skim the card and steal the number is so easy and then they have access to your current accounts. I know the bank will eventually make any losses right but in the mean time your money might be gone for weeks. I strongly recommend using a VISA or MasterCard for all transactions so if that is skimmed or stolen then it is their money they are using not yours.

• Members

After refusing to use a debit card for years, I finally started using one last year. Now, it is almost all that I use. During that interval, the banks ponied up with better "protection", as you suggest, and will eventually make things right.

However, look at your situation. You keep your card in your shirt pocket (so do I), so most likely you will notice it gone in a matter of a few hours at most. The latest being when you empty your pockets to go to bed or should I say sleep. ^_^ That gives you time to notify the bank and cancel the card, which is what happened to you and you did.

My debit card is attached to a web bank account so I can check what is going on every day or every hour if I should want to do so. I notice that most transactions do not necessarily clear even the same day so you can observe the charge for the fill-up you made that afternoon in a "suspense" category. That suggests to me that you could cancel that transaction with good reason. I have never had to do that but that is what I suppose.

I used to carry a lot of cash because earlier in my career I bought fuel at places that would not take US credit cards. Then I switched to mostly credit cards and now debit cards. Yes, you can have more than one debit card and multiple accounts, if you wish and at my bank, no cost.

Best regards,

RA1

I left and walked away from a ATM card in Thailand a few years back and didn't even know it. A cute Thai lady came up on me about 5 minutes away on Motorbike and was yelling at me. I pulled over and she gave me my card. I couldn't believe she was so nice. I did give her a reward but I felt horrible that I didn't even notice it was gone. I rarely loose my cards now, but I seem to loose my glasses often. Not sure how that is even possible as I need them, but it has happened several times. ^_^

I did not know it was possible to get an ATM card reactivated. I thought when removed, it was dead. That is news for me. Thanks.

You think you have problems. The other day I found my car keys in the refrigerator... :unsure:

haha Not sure how that happens buddy!

I have gone to the wrong apartment in MY building several times. I keep forgetting to push the right elevator button and it goes to wrong floor and they all look the same so I try my key, get frustrated and then think, "oh shit." and run down the hall.

Guest FourAces

@EXPAT you're probably right as some banks don't cover their stolen debit cards as well as others. At least with credit cards there is mandated backing for fraud.

@OZ I didn't know either that they could reactivate the card. When I cancelled it she mentioned to me they could. This might not be at all banks but mine does.

@eeyore I feel ya ^_^

• Members

My old bank was one of the first to have the insert than pull back out style for all their ATMs. Conditioned me--walked away leaving my card in old-style ATMs a couple times after that.

In general I agree it's better to use credit--especially with some kind of reward attached (miles, cash back, etc.) and you get a little better security that way too.

But I also use my debit card a lot. Have had fraud once or twice, no big deal and quickly corrected. That may have been because I was *not* with BofA though! Have heard *nothing* good about them. Pretty sure it actually stands for Bunch of Arseholes!

• Members

You think you have problems. The other day I found my car keys in the refrigerator... :unsure:

No, no, eeyore, you keep your cash in the refrigerator and your car keys under the sofa cushions which is where they will end up anyway. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

Guest EXPAT

This shows you how easy it is to skim and copy your debit card. I had my VISA card skimmed two weeks ago at a hair cut place. I caught her and reported it to the police and to VISA and the store was closed and she was arrested. But then I notice these things because I have been involved in card security for years as part of my career.

Guest Hoover42

I have gone to the wrong apartment in MY building several times. I keep forgetting to push the right elevator button and it goes to wrong floor and they all look the same so I try my key, get frustrated and then think, "oh shit." and run down the hall.

Not long ago, a hot guy knocked on my door with one hand while balancing a case of beer in the other hand. When I answered the door, it took him a moment to realize that he was on the wrong floor. For a moment there I really had my hopes up! ^_^

Guest hitoallusa

I would just fall on him and make him drop his beer.Lol.. Now I have to move to Oz's apartment complex and just wait for him to come by.. I will just leave my door open. ^_^

Not long ago, a hot guy knocked on my door with one hand while balancing a case of beer in the other hand. When I answered the door, it took him a moment to realize that he was on the wrong floor. For a moment there I really had my hopes up! ^_^

• Members

Expat-

Most of the places where I use my debit card have self swipe which I think reduces the chances of the info being purloined. However, nothing is completely safe or fool proof and I defer to your insider knowledge.

Best regards,

RA1

No, no, eeyore, you keep your cash in the refrigerator and your car keys under the sofa cushions which is where they will end up anyway. ^_^

Except when you are rushing to leave the house, coat in hand, but cannot find the dang keys anywhere. Until you finally locate them clutched in your hand, hidden underneath your coat.

Guest hitoallusa

I always wonder about that too. My suspicion is that the washer/dryer industry is funded by the sock producers! ^_^

Now if I could just find that missing orphan sock that should have come out of the dryer... -_-

• Members

Usually if I put two socks in, I get two socks out. What I don't understand is no matter which way my clothes are turned when I put them in, they come out inside out. That includes shirts, underwear and sometimes socks.

Best regards,

RA1