Guest EXPAT

Keith Olbermann's show dumped by CurrentTV (Al Gore's channel)

• Members

As you say, a non-existent network. I am sorry, but, who cares what Al Gore does or says? I, for one, do not. He has always been a fraud, first by claiming to be from TN when he actually is from DC, at least in his formative years and by political temperment.

Again, sorry if I am sort of hijacking the thread and disregarding Olbermann, someone I do not follow.

It is difficult for me to disregard Gore. I am a native Tennessean and think he is part of the "Eastern" establishment, which includes DC, and not someone I care to have in my "group" of associates. I have seen him personally and he is NOT the public personna that many think he is but, then, who is? All pols are suspect.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

All pols are suspect.

Close but no cigar.

All pols are guilty until proven otherwise beyond a reasonable doubt and to the exclusion of all other reasonal hypotheses.

Only then do they rise to the level of suspect.

Guest CharliePS

I used to enjoy Olberman when he was an ESPN commentator, but I haven't watched him since then, so I don't have any opinion in this case.

And I agree with RA1 on Gore's fake Tennesseemanship (born and raised in DC, educated at Harvard, son of a career politician, he inherited the family business). Of course, his opponent in 2000 had a somewhat questionable Texanity, as well (born in New Haven and educated at Yale and Harvard, grandson of a Connecticut governor and son of an entrepreneur/politician, he inherited more than one family business).

• Members

MS Guy-

Perhaps I should have said all pols that I have personally observed being other than their public personna which includes Gore. I suspect all of them but especially those I have seen disregarding their stated principles.

Charlie-

i am not willing to defend Bush, Jr. either but I have not personally observed his dissembling. I do have some respect for Bush, Sr. and especially before he was prez.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest FourAces

I haven't watched his current tv show once. I did like some of his shows MSNBC though. He can cross the boundary at times and really don't even think this is much of a story seeing the avenue it happened in.

As you say, a non-existent network. I am sorry, but, who cares what Al Gore does or says? I, for one, do not. He has always been a fraud, first by claiming to be from TN when he actually is from DC, at least in his formative years and by political temperment.

Again, sorry if I am sort of hijacking the thread and disregarding Olbermann, someone I do not follow.

It is difficult for me to disregard Gore. I am a native Tennessean and think he is part of the "Eastern" establishment, which includes DC, and not someone I care to have in my "group" of associates. I have seen him personally and he is NOT the public personna that many think he is but, then, who is? All pols are suspect.

Best regards,

RA1

You say that like being part of the eastern establishment is some kind of mark of shame. So he isn't from Tennessee. Are the rest of us really so bad that you need to paint with that brush?

• Members

You say that like being part of the eastern establishment is some kind of mark of shame. So he isn't from Tennessee. Are the rest of us really so bad that you need to paint with that brush?

Sorry that you got that impression. I have a lot of friends who live and are "from" up east. Gore was born in Washington, DC partly because his father, Al Gore, Sr. was a US senator from TN. However, he always claimed to be a native Tennesseean and he and his family own property in TN. So, my comment is partly based upon what I consider "false advertising" by him. I better stop now. I have a lot of negative things to say about Gore and this thread is probably not the time or place.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

But I can't believe that Elliot Spitzer is a better choice than Keith to draw attention to a non-existent network.

I think that IS the point.

Olberman apparently was more of a noshow than VP and Managing Editor of the news opeation or whatever he was called. He seems too tempermental to work for anyone. Once canned at ESPN I can dismiss. Second time at MSNBC leaves one to wonder. The third time at Current, which seemed perfect for him except it was too small for his oversized ego, cements a pattern. I think it likely that Keith's tantrum has made him unemplyable in the business, understandably so. I look for him to pull a Tucker Carlson and start his own internet blog. Who else would hire him?

I used to watch Keith on MSNBC and liked him. He was great a third of the time, fair to middlin' a third and went overboard a third. Never paid much attention at Current as I think Lawrence O'Donnel was much more insightful about the politics and congressional workings. Now that he has been moved to ten I don't see him too often anymore.

• Members

RA, sorry you don't like him, but did you know he invented the Internet? I love him just for that. I can't imagine someone like that doing false advertising. :smile:

I can't imagine him doing false advertising either. After all, He did invent the Internet. :whistle:

• Members

Best regards,

RA1

Well, I have to disagree with you on some counts. True, he didn't grow up in TN but then most children grow up with their parents. I do not fault him for that -- and his family roots were in TN. Moreover, TN had the opportunity to disown him several times and chose not to do that. But this is no biggie either way.

Few people had a lower opinion of Gore than me in the 80s and 90s. So much so that I refused to vote for him for President. A choice I regret deeply based on history. The first presidential election I took a pass on, and last one ever.

Gore played nasty politics with NASA over the Challenger incident for his own benefit. He was a stuffed shirt that practiced overblowing his own horn. I could go on but no need. He left a sour taste in my mouth.

Yet, based on some of his achievements after that election and standing next to W through the hindsight of history I sure feel better about Gore now. My vote wouldn't have changed history but I'd feel a whole lot better about myself if I had cast it, and if he had won then the country would have been a whole lot better off now -- a whole lot.

• Members

I am glad your crystal ball works better than mine. I am not about to defend Bush, Jr. but from how Gore acted before and how he acts now does not make me warm and fuzzy about what might have happened.

Here are some of the things that make him a fraud in my mind. Carbon tax: He lives in a 10,000 square foot mansion while claiming to offset his own carbon use with his own cabon tax company which is making him 100's of millions. Nice work if you can swing it. In the meantime some of the public thinks he is doing things to "help" the environment.

While VP he not only made silly claims of "inventing" the internet, he also stated he would solve the problem of aircraft accidents. So long as aircraft are flying, that is not possible. It is a human sponsored activity and humans will make errors. I can reduce aviation accidents to zero. Ground all aircraft. My opinion is that is where he was headed. Except for himself, of course. I have personally seen him get into a biz jet with him as the only passenger. Fine with me but don't claim to be reducing the carbon footprint while "sneaking" around putting carbon into the atmosphere.BTW--the last time I saw him doing that was about 3 months ago.

Should we talk about tobacco subsidies to him and his family? I guess not.

I suppose we need not go into the staged polar bear scenes. That is no doubt just poetic license.

I am not picking on you and you are welcome to your opinion. I hope you will do me the courtesy of the same opportunity.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

I am glad your crystal ball works better than mine. I am not about to defend Bush, Jr. but from how Gore acted before and how he acts now does not make me warm and fuzzy about what might have happened.

Here are some of the things that make him a fraud in my mind. Carbon tax: He lives in a 10,000 square foot mansion while claiming to offset his own carbon use with his own cabon tax company which is making him 100's of millions. Nice work if you can swing it. In the meantime some of the public thinks he is doing things to "help" the environment.

While VP he not only made silly claims of "inventing" the internet, he also stated he would solve the problem of aircraft accidents. So long as aircraft are flying, that is not possible. It is a human sponsored activity and humans will make errors. I can reduce aviation accidents to zero. Ground all aircraft. My opinion is that is where he was headed. Except for himself, of course. I have personally seen him get into a biz jet with him as the only passenger. Fine with me but don't claim to be reducing the carbon footprint while "sneaking" around putting carbon into the atmosphere.BTW--the last time I saw him doing that was about 3 months ago.

Should we talk about tobacco subsidies to him and his family? I guess not.

I suppose we need not go into the staged polar bear scenes. That is no doubt just poetic license.

I am not picking on you and you are welcome to your opinion. I hope you will do me the courtesy of the same opportunity.

Best regards,

RA1

Sure, he was a slimebag in the 80s and 90s. I mentioned my distaste and refusal to vote for him. As for his carbon tax history, have it your way. Some say he does good overall others have your opinion. None of that forms the basis for my present day my opinion.

I have a tech background and I believe in global warming. He's done a lot to educate many about it. If he makes money off of that I don't care. Lots of people make money off of ideas and speaking about them and getting into new tech areas. It sounds like something a environmentally concerned Republican might do, if that hasn't become an oxymoron by now.

More importantly, I do not believe he would have gotten us into a unnecessary terrible war that was unpaid for and totally mishandled after the first 100 days or so when it changed from a miliatry operation to a political operation.

I do not believe that Gore would have taken an economy in surplus and driven it into deficit in a few short years.

I do not believe that Gore would have given the SEC orders to back off on oversight and regulation of the banking industry. He did not sew the seeds of disaster but he sure fed and watered the hell out of em.

I do not believe that Gore business policies would have brought the country to the edge of depression giving us the deepest recession in modern history and the largest deficit in history.

So yeah, there is lots I didn't like about Gore but compared to 'Wanted Dead or Alive' , 'Mission Accomplished' , and 'Asleep at the Oversight Wheel' Bush and his cronies I think he a real peach. That is the conclusion I come to when I compare him not to the Almighty but to the alternative. You are free to differ.

Guest hitoallusa

The war was inevitable at least in Afganistan. The housing market would have collapsed no matter who was president at that time in my opinion since deregulation had momentum at that time not just by republicans but democrats like Barney as well...Gore might have done a better job than Bush..

• Members

The war was inevitable at least in Afganistan. The housing market would have collapsed no matter who was president at that time in my opinion since deregulation had momentum at that time not just by republicans but democrats like Barney as well...Gore might have done a better job than Bush..

The war in Afghanistan wasn't inevitable because 9/11 was, in fact, completely "evitable". The Clinton/Gore team spent a lot of time on Bin Laden and felt he was a clear ad present danger. They told everybody and anybody about that during the transition.

But it turned out that brush clearing in Crawford and that tit Ashcroft covering a statue's boob were both more important!

I'd have given Gore at least 50% odds of averting 9/11, like the Clinton/Gore administration averted the LAX bombing of 2000.

Many of these opinions were formed by reading Richard Clark's book, which I highly recommend.

• Members

TY-

It was not my intention to start a ruckus. I stopped with that comment in an earlier post but your post kind of goaded me into painfully reflecting upon what I consider Gore's many faults. In effect, what you are saying is ANY SLIMEBALL could and should have done better and differently than Bush. To some extent that might be true but I cannot in good conscience decide for sure what MIGHT have happened. It is obvious what SHOULD have happened, more or less.

I don't think any of the posters hereon will live long enough to know if climate change is real or what is causing it, other than a "normal and routine" variation caused by the sun and orbit, etc. of the earth. To be perfectly clear, I am hoping each and every one of us lives to be well over 100 (if they so desire). ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

I don't think any of the posters hereon will live long enough to know if climate change is real or what is causing it, other than a "normal and routine" variation caused by the sun and orbit, etc. of the earth. To be perfectly clear, I am hoping each and every one of us lives to be well over 100 (if they so desire). :smile:

Best regards,

RA1

I don't have to know it, the fact that a vast, overwhelming majority of scientists declare that we're at a tipping point after which catastrophic change will be uncontrollable is enough for me. Especially backed by core samples clearly showing the highest levels of carbon in the atmosphere since the dinosaurs.

But hey, if there's a handful of "scientists" saying otherwise or just hemming and hawing lets all sit on our thumbs instead of doing things generally good for America anyway! And let's ignore that those scientists are bought and paid for by big energy!!

• Members

JK-

What would persuade you? If I were to provide "scientific" evidence, would you agree? I have to think not but that is no reason for us to argue. We won't live long enough for it to matter or so I think.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

JK-

What would persuade you? If I were to provide "scientific" evidence, would you agree? I have to think not but that is no reason for us to argue. We won't live long enough for it to matter or so I think.

Best regards,

RA1

In general I agree, and I don't plan to reproduce... So fuck the world/fuck the future? Because once the changes start compounding each other it'll be too late.

Guest hitoallusa

But we will have one more child to solve our impending problems.. Children are blessings...

In general I agree, and I don't plan to reproduce... So fuck the world/fuck the future? Because once the changes start compounding each other it'll be too late.

Guest hitoallusa

There had been numerous bombing on us establishmentsblessing up to 9/11 and Osama was planning an attack inside the US.. If Osama had been left unchecked then who knows what would have happened.. I believe The Clinton administration responded not so well to previous attacks on us establishments by Osama.. You are right that the word inevitable is a strong word and what if in history is a big question mark. .

The war in Afghanistan wasn't inevitable because 9/11 was, in fact, completely "evitable". The Clinton/Gore team spent a lot of time on Bin Laden and felt he was a clear ad present danger. They told everybody and anybody about that during the transition.

But it turned out that brush clearing in Crawford and that tit Ashcroft covering a statue's boob were both more important!

I'd have given Gore at least 50% odds of averting 9/11, like the Clinton/Gore administration averted the LAX bombing of 2000.

Many of these opinions were formed by reading Richard Clark's book, which I highly recommend.