Guest EXPAT

Just sayin'. . .Senator Santorum

Guest EXPAT

I think he has upheld the constitution so far..??? It's funny but I don't get it...

I'm surprised you don't get it. It has nothing to do with not supporting the constitution, it has everything to do with the fact that he is putting the bible first in every single one of his speeches and potential actions. That's not why we put people in office.

• Members

I think he has upheld the constitution so far..??? It's funny but I don't get it...

Every bit of his pandering mewing about imposing *Christian* values on everybody would be in direct contradiction of the establishment clause of the constitution, if enacted.

Every bit of his pandering mewing about imposing *Christian* values on everybody would be in direct contradiction of the establishment clause of the constitution, if enacted.

Exactly. As is also (slight hijack here, but worth noting over and over) every argument against marriage equality that relies on religious tradition.

• Members

That is an interesting question. I have "always" assumed that marriage was a religious ceremony and a civil union was just that. Therefore I have had no problem with civil unions between any two consenting adults. I have had "thoughts" about marriages, however. I am certainly willing to learn.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

That is an interesting question. I have "always" assumed that marriage was a religious ceremony and a civil union was just that. Therefore I have had no problem with civil unions between any two consenting adults. I have had "thoughts" about marriages, however. I am certainly willing to learn.

Best regards,

RA1

The problem is this runs right into the establishment clause. Sure, Catholics won't marry a gay couple, but Unitarians, Church of England, etc... would be happy to. I get the idea some Jewish congregations would be happy to as well. Why do a couple of Christian sects get government permission to decide for everybody whether or not they can be married? Especially when there are other Christians backing the opposite!

And the other problem is currently we have marriages in some states not recognized in others which is also constitutionally problematic, I believe. But we've been here before with mixed-race couples...