AdamSmith

Being "Born Again" Linked to Brain Atrophy: Study

• Members

"...more brain atrophy," actually; also those with "no religious affiliation." Odd. Intriguing. Not enough details here, but still:

http://mobile.philly.com/health/?wss=/philly/health&id=132456883

On the face of the statement it seems like nonsense to me but there is so little to go on other than a what seems a apparent contradiction at one level, hence the nonsense.

Personally, I believe that blind belief in supreme being/religious dogma is tied to brain wiring much like sexual preference is. Otherwise I cannot explain why educated and apparently intelligent people buy into the premise.

Guest hitoallusa

Reporters should be careful what they write... These reporters always add something to the studies on their own or exaggerate research findings.

• Members

Doesn't it "hurt" to be "born again"? ^_^

The twice borns of my acquaintance assure me it's worth it.

But then the Hare Krishna types say much the same. And they have the flowers to prove it. :flowers:

Guest hitoallusa

I guess spiritually being born again is a painful process too since one has to let go of one's old values and ideas. ^_^

Doesn't it "hurt" to be "born again"? ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

Guest hitoallusa

Aww that dog is so cute and sweet. People praying for me when I am not doing well or sick comforts me a lot. What could a dog give to a squirrel in times of distress. I don't think has a lot or things to share. At least the dog took an action that could help the squirrel. I find that so sweet and amazing! It's the thought that counts here. ^_^

Guest EXPAT

The few people I know who declare to be "born again" had some "event" in their life that triggered the need to be "born again". I think that has more to do with it than anything else.

Guest epigonos

So much about religion is fascinating. In the Hindu pantheon of gods exists an elephant headed god with a man’s body, Ganesh – Christians scoff. One of the most basic tenants of Christianity is the belief in a virgin birth – Hindu’s scoff. Both groups certainly have a point. Frankly I don’t know which belief is more implausible.

In the film Angels & Demons the Tom Hanks character, at a certain point, states that “faith is a gift that I have not been granted”. Damn can I relate to that statement.

Impiety: Your irreverence toward my deity. -- Ambrose Bierce.

"Je n'avais pas besoin de cette hypothese-la." -- Pierre-Simon Laplace's classic reply to Napoleon.

The great scientist had explained his theory of planetary motion to the emperor, whereupon Napoleon asked, "But where is God in all this?"

Laplace: "I had no need of that hypothesis."