Guest EXPAT

Ex-Rutgers student convicted on spying on his gay roommate

Guest EXPAT

A jury in New Jersey on Friday convicted Dharun Ravi, a former Rutgers student, of hate crimes, invasion of privacy and other charges related to his spying on his gay college roommate, Tyler Clementi, who later committed suicide.

Ravi, 20, sat silently and with no visible expression on his face as the verdict was read.

He faced a total of 15 counts in the case, which made national news in September 2010 after Clementi, who was 18, hurled himself from the George Washington Bridge in the New York City area after learning that Ravi had set up a secret webcam and captured him in an intimate encounter with a date in their dorm room.

Ravi had pleaded innocent to all charges, including bias intimidation – a hate crime – and said he only set up the webcam because he wanted to keep an eye on his property while he was out of the room.

Clementi's death became a national rallying point, drawing attention to what activists said was the type of hate-motivated bullying often faced by young gay, lesbian and transgender teenager.

Ravi was not charged in connection with the suicide.

The question of determining hate was key for the jury. Ravi could face up to 10 years in prison.

post-105999-001048600 1331919765.jpg

• Members

He turned down a plea agreement that would have resulted in probation. He now may be deported to India.

We've lost so much of (given away) our privacy in this digital world. Will we ever relearn how to protect our privacy and respect others privacy?

Guest hitoallusa

I am optimistic about it. People will figure it out. It's only a few percentage of people who will do these kinds of things no matter what so let's not be discouraged by it.

He turned down a plea agreement that would have resulted in probation. He now may be deported to India.

We've lost so much of (given away) our privacy in this digital world. Will we ever relearn how to protect our privacy and respect others privacy?

Guest FourAces

I heard a report that his computer logs showed he was obsessed with his roommate, Tyler. Visiting his twitter site, for example, several times a hour. I am pleased he has been convicted and hope that it might actually make others think before doing such horrific privacy invading acts.

Guest EXPAT

I heard a report that his computer logs showed he was obsessed with his roommate, Tyler. Visiting his twitter site, for example, several times a hour. I am pleased he has been convicted and hope that it might actually make others think before doing such horrific privacy invading acts.

It makes you wonder if he was closeted and curious about a potential gay roommate. There is usually a reason for behavior like this beyond the usual voyeurism.

Guest FourAces

It makes you wonder if he was closeted and curious about a potential gay roommate. There is usually a reason for behavior like this beyond the usual voyeurism.

I agree. I think he might be gay or bi curious and just did not know how to handle it. So harassing a gay roommate was his way of dealing with his own self hate? IDK the whole situation is pretty sad.

Guest hitoallusa

Whether he is gay or not he shouldn't have done that. Unless he had an intention to help but I don't think taping someone will help.

Guest EXPAT

The big news today is the sentencing of Dharun Ravi, who was given 30 days in jail and 300 hours of community service for spying on Tyler Clementi. He had faced up to 10 years. He also received at $10,000 fine.

The blogosphere is up in arms over the very light sentence. I think that this is probably a bit too light. Most people were suggesting up to 11 months because 12 months or over would have most likely caused a deportation as well apparently.

Guest FourAces

Fuck the judge did not think this is a hate crime? How many other protected classes in society can we humiliate and drive to their death then? Just because the guy didn't call him a fag to his face doesn't mean its not a hate crime. And all that aside ... 30 days are you serious? Its a insult to the life that was lost. Lock him up for several years then deport him!

Guest zipperzone

The big news today is the sentencing of Dharun Ravi, who was given 30 days in jail and 300 hours of community service for spying on Tyler Clementi. He had faced up to 10 years. He also received at $10,000 fine.

The blogosphere is up in arms over the very light sentence. I think that this is probably a bit too light. Most people were suggesting up to 11 months because 12 months or over would have most likely caused a deportation as well apparently.

And what is wrong with deportation? Who needs scum like this in our society? Hope he gets well and truly fucked while in prison!

Guest hitoallusa

I don't thinWillkie of people will be left in the US if that's the case. ^_^

And what is wrong with deportation? Who needs scum like this in our society? Hope he gets well and truly fucked while in prison!