Guest lurkerspeaks

Is local theater of "classics" a dying breed?

Guest lurkerspeaks

I went to see a local company's production of Gypsy tonite. One thing I noticed was that probably 80% or more of the sold out crowd was over 60 years old. I would guess that less than 5% were under 30 years old. With that being said, is local theater going to be a thing of the past? Gypsy is a classic piece of American theater. It was the first musical I saw when I was young, so it has a fond place in my heart. I would imagine that in NYC, the theater attracts a younger crowd. And here in Phoenix, national touring companies get a younger crowd.

But was it just the subject tonite that drew an older crowd? What are your thoughts/experiences on the subject?

Guest EXPAT

I had a similar experience but it was at the movie theatre for one of those special live satellite performances of a New York musical broadcast via Fathom Events. The theatre was fairly full but everyone was easily over 50.

I suspect that the younger generations are too worried about what Snooki or Kim Kardashian are up to. And if course I couldn't care less about that.